Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral of sqrt(tan x)

1. Dec 10, 2009 #1
    My question is about this integral:

[tex]\int\sqrt{\tan (x)}dx[/tex]

After using the substitution, u2 = tan(x), I got,

[tex]2\int\frac{u^2}{u^4 + 1}du = 2\int\frac{u^2}{\left(u^2 + \sqrt{2}u + 1\right)\left(u^2 - \sqrt{2}u + 1\right)}du[/tex]

Next, I tried the partial fraction expansion. But it turned pretty ugly. Is there any easier way of doing it?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2009 #2

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If it is a definite integral, I think contour integration would be the way to go... otherwise I can't think of a way to make it nice.

4. Dec 10, 2009 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think there's a neater way to compute it other than the method you already have.

5. Dec 11, 2009 #4

Gib Z

Homework Helper

There is;

[tex]\int \frac{2u^2}{u^4+1} du = \int \frac{u^2+1}{u^4+1} du + \int \frac{u^2-1}{u^4+1} du [/tex]

[tex]= \int \frac{1+\frac{1}{u^2}}{u^2+\frac{1}{u^2}} du + \int \frac{1-\frac{1}{u^2}}{u^2+\frac{1}{u^2}} du [/tex]

[tex]= \int \frac{ d(u-\frac{1}{u})}{ (u-\frac{1}{u})^2 +2} du + \int \frac{ d(u+\frac{1}{u})}{ (u+\frac{1}{u})^2 -2} du[/tex]

6. Dec 12, 2009 #5
    I'm sorry, but I don't see exactly how that helps. :confused:

7. Dec 12, 2009 #6

Gib Z

Homework Helper

The remaining integrals are of forms which are generally considered standard integrals;

[tex]\int \frac{dx}{x^2+a^2} = \frac{1}{a} \tan^{-1} \frac{x}{a} + C[/tex]

[tex]\int \frac{dx}{x^2-a^2} = \frac{1}{2a} \log_e \left( \frac{x-a}{x+a}\right) + C[/tex]

8. Dec 13, 2009 #7
    But how do I deal with the [itex]d\left(u-\frac{1}{u}\right)[/itex] and [itex]d\left(u+\frac{1}{u}\right)[/itex] in the numerators of the integrals?

9. Dec 13, 2009 #8
    Substitution: put z = u-1/u in the first integral and z = u+1/u in the second integral

10. Dec 13, 2009 #9
    murshid_islam - Just to be clear, the trailing [itex]du[/itex] in Gib Z's brillant integrals should be deleted. The form of the integrals are really

[tex]\int \frac{2u^2}{u^4+1} du = \int \frac{ d(u-\frac{1}{u})}{ (u-\frac{1}{u})^2 +2} + \int \frac{ d(u+\frac{1}{u})}{ (u+\frac{1}{u})^2 -2} [/tex]

Do you now understand how the substitution gets to the integral forms in his second post?

11. Dec 13, 2009 #10
    Thanks a lot. Now everything is clear to me.

Oh yes, now I understand.

12. Dec 13, 2009 #11

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Argh! All that latex code makes me forget what I'm actually typing and it's just instict to jab a du in there after an integral! Sorry murshid_islam!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook