1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrate f(x) = (x^3 + 3x + 12) / (x(x+2)^2)

1. Apr 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Integrate f(x) = (x^3 + 3x + 12) / (x(x+2)^2)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that i should somehow rewrite the polynomial but I do not know how. Please, help me.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2008 #2
    Hmm, I don't know if this is correct or not, but have you tried long division?
  4. Apr 18, 2008 #3
    You should rewrite your polynomial as sum of partial fractions, hope you know how to do that. You write
    [tex]f(x) = \frac{x^3 + 3x + 12} { x(x+2)^2} = \frac{A}{x}+\frac{B}{x+2}+\frac{C}{(x+2)^2} [/tex]

Where A,B,C are constants. Then you have to solve a system of three equations for A,B,C. Else you look in math book or wikipedia under partial fractions.
  5. Apr 18, 2008 #4
    Thanks! It is about partial fractions.
  6. Apr 18, 2008 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I would strongly recommend that you multiply out the denominator and divide first. "Partial fractions" only works correctly when the numerator is of lower degree than the denominator.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?