Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrate problem with undefined constant

1. Jul 29, 2011 #1
    Hello!

I'm trying to calculate this integral:

Integrate [Exp[-I a *y] Exp[I*Sin[y]] Exp[-y*Sign[y]], {y, -Infinity, Infinity}] , where "a" - constant that i'll define later.

So the result of the calculation acсording to Mathematica is the same expression : Exp[-I a *y] Exp[I*Sin[y]] Exp[-y*Sign[y]].

What can i do to calculate my integral without defining my constant "a" and using NIntagrate?

Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2011 #2
    I doubt that Mma returns the integrand - it probably returns an unevaluated integral, no matter what choice you make for the constant a. The integral probably does not have a nice closed form in terms of any common or existing special functions.

Mma doesn't even evaluate the "simpler" integral Exp[I*Sin[y] - y^2].

If you just need to use this result just define the numerical integral (with memoization)

int[a_?NumericQ] := int[a] = NIntegrate[Exp[-I a*y] Exp[I*Sin[y]] Exp[-y*Sign[y]], {y, -Infinity, Infinity}]//Chop

It's a little slow... but you can get a reasonable plot of the integral

Plot[int[x], {x, -10, 10}, PlotPoints -> 15, MaxRecursion -> 3, PlotRange -> All]
    attachment.php?attachmentid=37617&stc=1&d=1311986079.png

Attached Files:

4. Jul 30, 2011 #3
    Thank you so much for answer!

5. Jul 31, 2011 #4
    Not a problem. I hope it was useful.
    If you do find a closed form to that integral - don't forget to post it here!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook