1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrate wave function squared - M. Chester text

1. Jul 9, 2017 #1

GreyNoise

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    given: A wire loop with a circumference of L has a bead that moves freely around it. The momentum state function for the bead is ## \psi(x) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}} \sin \left (\frac{4\pi}{L}x \right ) ##
    find: The probability of finding the bead between ## \textstyle \frac{L}{24} ## and ## \textstyle \frac{L}{8} ##

2. Relevant equations
    ## \int_{a}^{b}|<x| \psi >|^2 dx = \int_{a}^{b} | \psi(x) |^2 dx ##

## \psi(x) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}} \sin \left ( \frac{4\pi}{L}x \right ) \hspace{10mm}## the state function

3. The attempt at a solution
    ## \displaystyle \int_{a}^{b}|\lt x|\psi\gt|^2 dx = \int_{a}^{b} | \psi(x) |^2 dx ##

## {\displaystyle \int_{\frac{L}{24}}^{\frac{L}{8}} \left [ \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}} \sin \left ( \frac{4\pi}{L}x \right ) \right ]^2 dx } \hspace{10mm} ## sub ## \textstyle \psi(x) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}} \sin \left ( \frac{4\pi}{L}x \right ) ## and integration limits

## \displaystyle \int_{\frac{L}{24}}^{\frac{L}{8}} \left [ \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}} \sin \left ( \frac{4\pi}{L}x \right ) \right ]^2 dx = \left. \frac{x}{L} - \frac{ \sin \left ( \frac{8\pi}{L}x \right )}{8\pi} \right |_{\frac{L}{24}}^{\frac{L}{8}} ##

## \displaystyle = \frac{1}{L}\frac{L}{8} - \frac{ \sin \left ( \frac{8\pi}{L}\frac{L}{8} \right ) }{8\pi} - \left [ \frac{1}{L}\frac{L}{24} - \frac{ \sin \left ( \frac{8\pi}{L}\frac{L}{24} \right ) }{8\pi} \right ]
    = \frac{1}{8} - \frac{1}{24} + \frac{ \sin \left ( \frac{\pi}{3} \right ) }{8\pi} ##

## = \displaystyle \frac{1}{12} + \frac{\sqrt{3}}{16\pi} ##

The answer given in the text is ##\frac{1}{12} + \frac{1}{16\pi}##. I cannot shake the ## \sqrt{3} ## in the second term. I even checked my evaluation of the integral on the Wolfram site, and it returned the same integral solution as I got. The book is Primer of Quantum Mechanics by Marvin Chester (Dover Publ). It appears to be a first edition, so I guess it's plausible that the text's answer is a typo, but I felt the need to consult the community. Can anyone show me what I am doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2017 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

In a quick check, I think your calculations are correct, and that the book is in error.

4. Jul 10, 2017 #3

GreyNoise

Gold Member

Thnx Charles. I am confident of my own answer then.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted