Integrating (1-u²)^(1/2)(2u²+1) with change of variables

  • Thread starter Thread starter mkkrnfoo85
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integration
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
mkkrnfoo85
Messages
50
Reaction score
0
I was doing a change in variables problem in multivariable calculus and I got stuck on the last integration.

[tex]\frac {4}{3} \int_{u=0}^{1} (1-u^2)^{\frac {1}{2}}(2u^2+1)du[/tex]

I don't think substitution works. Can anyone show me an easy way to solve this? Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
For problems like this in general, you should try spliting up any integrand into as many pieces as possible...

Here you can rewrite the integrand obviously as 2u^2[(1-u^2)^0.5] + (1-u^2)...

and being the lazy engineering student that I am... I would look these up in a table of integrals--- which would definitely have the general solutions.
 
Don't listen to an engineering student giving advice in anything but engineering...:wink:


The transformed integral should be

[tex]\frac{4}{3}\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \cos^{2}t\left(2\sin^{2}t+1\right) dt[/tex]

Use the double angle formulas to get it simplified.

Daniel.
 
did u miss [tex](1-u)^{1/2}[/tex] -> [tex]\int cos t (2 sin^2 t + 1) dt[/tex]? Or did i miss something