Change of Variables Legendre's Equation

In summary, the homework equation in position space is given by-[cot \theta \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta} + \frac{\partial^2}{\partial \theta^2}] \Theta_{\lambda,0} = \lambda \Theta_{\lambda,0}and using u = cos \theta I get that du = -sin \theta d \theta. When I substitute in for \frac{d}{d \theta} I get that -sin \theta = \frac{du}{d \theta} and then use the chain rule to get \frac{d^2}{d^2 \theta} = -
Crush1986

Homework Statement

Determine the spherical harmonics and the eigenvalues of [tex] \vec{\hat{L}}^2 [/tex] by solving the eigenvalue equation [tex] \vec{\hat{L}}^2 |\lambda, m \rangle [/tex] in position space,

[tex] [\frac{1}{sin \theta} \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta} ( sin \theta \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta} ) + \frac{1}{sin^2 \theta} \frac{\partial^2}{\partial \phi^2}] \Theta_{\lambda,m}(\theta) e^{im\phi} [/tex]

restrict your attention to the m = 0 case. Rewrite the equation in terms of u = cos \theta and show that it becomes

[tex] (1-u^2) \frac{d^2 \Theta_{\lambda, 0}}{du^2}-2u \frac{d \Theta_{\lambda,m}}{du} + \lambda \Theta_{\lambda,0} = 0 [/tex]

Homework Equations

distributing the [tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta} [/tex] and recognizing that the double phi derivative turns to zero I am working with the equation [tex] -[cot \theta \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta} + \frac{\partial^2}{\partial \theta^2}] \Theta_{\lambda,0} = \lambda \Theta_{\lambda,0} [/tex]

so, using [tex] u = cos \theta [/tex] I get that [tex] du = -sin \theta d \theta [/tex], which in turn gives me that [tex] \frac{d}{d \theta} = - sin \theta \frac{d}{du} [/tex]

So I'm pretty sure I'm messing up when I am substituting in for [tex] \frac{d^2}{d^2 \theta} = -sin \theta \frac{d}{du} (-sin \theta \frac{d}{du}) [/tex]

I'm then saying [tex] -sin \theta = \frac{du}{d \theta} [/tex] then using the chain rule I get [tex] \frac{d^2}{d^2 \theta} = -sin [ \frac {d}{d \theta} \frac{d}{du} + \frac{du}{d \theta} \frac {d^2}{du^2}] = -sin \theta [-sin \theta \frac{d^2}{du^2}-sin \theta \frac{d^2}{du^2}] = 2 sin^2 \theta \frac{d^2}{du^2}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'd appreciate any help. When i put this all together I'm getting
[tex] 2(1-u^2)\frac{d^2 \Theta_{\lambda,0}}{du^2} - u \frac{d \Theta_{\lambda,0}}{du} + \lambda \Theta_{\lambda,0}=0 [/tex]
I'm pretty sure it's just me doing something stupid while trying to find what the second derivative with respect to theta equals after the change of variable.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The LaTeX of your most important steps seems screwed upnan it is therefore difficult to tell exactly what you have done.

Let me just say this though: You are taking the long way around. I suggest not using the derivatives to make it two terms before making the substitution.

Ok,

I've tried this way as well and I always get snagged at the same part.

[tex] \frac{d}{d \theta}(sin \theta \frac {d}{d \theta}) [/tex]
[tex] = sin \theta \frac{d}{du}(sin^2 \theta \frac{d}{du}) [/tex]
one term is [tex] sin^3 \theta \frac{d^2}{du^2} [/tex]
I think I keep messing up the second term. How do you compute it?

Note that ##\sin^2\theta = 1 - u^2##. That should help.

Kuruman, I got that. that term works out perfect. But I'm not getting a -2u for my first derivative term, I only have -u. I'm not applying the chain or product rule correctly when computing what d^2/d(theta)^2 is.

What does [tex] \frac{d}{du} sin^2 \theta [/tex] come out to?

I JUST GOT IT! ugh, I don't know why I just didn't see how to do [tex] \frac{d}{du} sin^2 \theta [/tex]

Thanks all.

1. What is the Change of Variables Legendre's Equation?

The Change of Variables Legendre's Equation is a mathematical concept that allows for the transformation of a differential equation into a more manageable form by substituting a new independent variable. This can be useful in solving complex differential equations and has applications in physics, engineering, and other fields.

2. What is the purpose of using the Change of Variables Legendre's Equation?

The purpose of using the Change of Variables Legendre's Equation is to simplify and solve complex differential equations. By transforming the equation into a new form, it may become easier to solve or may provide insight into the behavior of the system being studied.

3. How is the Change of Variables Legendre's Equation used in physics?

The Change of Variables Legendre's Equation is used in physics to solve differential equations that arise in various physical systems, such as in classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and thermodynamics. It is particularly useful in solving problems involving spherical or cylindrical coordinates.

4. What is the relationship between the Change of Variables Legendre's Equation and Legendre polynomials?

The Change of Variables Legendre's Equation is closely related to Legendre polynomials, which are a special type of mathematical function used to solve certain differential equations. In fact, the equation is named after the French mathematician Adrien-Marie Legendre, who first studied these polynomials and their relationship to differential equations in the late 1700s.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Change of Variables Legendre's Equation?

There are some limitations to using the Change of Variables Legendre's Equation, as it may not work for all types of differential equations. Additionally, the transformation may introduce new solutions or make it more difficult to interpret the solutions of the original equation. It is important to carefully consider the applicability and implications of using this technique before applying it to a problem.