Integrating (x^2cosx^3)^6: A Review of Techniques

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter harpazo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integration Review
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
harpazo
Messages
208
Reaction score
16
Integrate this (x^2cosx^3)^6.

I absolutely forgot how to integrate several calculus 2 integrals.

Integration by parts?

Substitution?

Trig sub?

Partial fraction decomposition?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Is that $(x^2\cos^3(x))^6$? Or $(x^2\cos(x^3))^6$?
 
greg1313 said:
Is that $(x^2\cos^3(x))^6$? Or $(x^2\cos(x^3))^6$?

It is (x^2*cos(x^3))^6.
 
Hi Harpazo. There doesn't seem to be anything nice about it. Maybe there's a typo or something - or maybe I'm missing something (but I doubt it).
 
greg1313 said:
Hi Harpazo. There doesn't seem to be anything nice about it. Maybe there's a typo or something - or maybe I'm missing something (but I doubt it).

I played with it a few times myself, and also came to the conclusion that there is likely a typo in the problem as given to the OP. :)
 
We can do $(x^2\cos(x^3))^4$ with a combination of substitution, trig sub, and repeated partial integration...
 
I like Serena said:
We can do $(x^2\cos(x^3))^4$ with a combination of substitution, trig sub, and repeated partial integration...

Forget it. This problem is too involved.