Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration in Laplace Transform

1. Jan 28, 2015 #1
    Hello everyone, I have a question about integrating in Laplace Transform. For example, if I have:
    [tex]f(t)=e^{i.t}[/tex]
    I have to solve this equation:
    [tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{i.t}.e^{-s.t}dt[/tex]

If I do like this, it's very simple:
    [tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{i.t}.e^{-s.t}dt=\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-t.(s-i)}dt=\frac{-1}{s-i}.(0-1)=\frac{1}{s-i}[/tex]

But, if I do like this, I can't solve it:
    [tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{i.t}.e^{-s.t}dt=\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{t.(i-s)}dt=\frac{1}{i-s}.(?? - 1)= ?? [/tex]

Where it says '??', I don't know what to write.

Any help? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2015 #2
    You're technically dealing with a complex variable [itex]s[/itex] and an improper integral. So what you really want to calculate is
    [tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}\int_{0}^{n}e^{it}e^{-(a+b i)t}dt = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}\int_{0}^{n}e^{(-a+(1-b)i)t}dt = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{-a+(1-b)i} \left ( e^{(-a+(1-b)i)n} - 1 \right) .[/tex]

4. Jan 29, 2015 #3
    The Laplace transform here is defined for ##s>0##. Integrating you get $$\int_0^\infty e^{t(i-s)} dt = \frac{e^{t(i-s)}}{i-s} \Bigm|_{t=0}^{t=\infty} = \frac1{i-s} (0-1)= \frac1{s-i} .$$ Here by the value at ##t=\infty## you should understand the limit as ##t\to\infty##, and this limit is ##0## if ##s>0##. You can also consider complex ##s##, the same computation works and the limit as ##t\to\infty## is still zero if ##\operatorname{Re}s>0##. In your computations you skipped on step (did not write the antiderivative), maybe that was the source of your confusion.

5. Jan 30, 2015 #4
    Thanks for your answers!
    I can see now that [tex]e^{t.(i-s)}[/tex], with [tex]t->\infty[/tex] is equal to 0, but why?
    I can separate that exponential in 2 parts: real and immaginary. In the real part, of course I have [tex]e^{-t.s}=0[/tex] but in the immaginary part I have: [tex]e^{i.t}[/tex] and that's not 0.
    So, I have [tex]0.\infty[/tex], with the infinity in the immaginary. Isn't that strange? Why do you say that is 0?

6. Jan 30, 2015 #5
    For real ##t## we have ##|e^{it}|=1##, so we have something bounded (##e^{it}##) times something with limit ##0##. The resulting limit is then ##0##.

7. Jan 30, 2015 #6
    Oh, that's true!!!!!!!
    Thanksssssssssssssssssssss

Sorry, Euler, I forgot about you haha

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook