First Step in Finding an Integration Reduction Formula for (4-x^2)^n

In summary, There was a discussion about finding an integration reduction formula for the equation \int _{0}^{2}{{\big(4-{x^2}\big)}^n}\delta x, with suggestions such as repeatedly integrating by parts or using the binomial expansion. One person suggested using the substitution x = 2 \sin u, while another person suggested using m = 2n - 1 and a clever trick involving rewriting the x^2 term as (4-[4-x^2]). The final solution was given as {{I }_n}=\frac{8n}{2n+1}{{I }_{n-1}}.
Petrushka
I'm trying to find an integration reduction formula for the following equation:

[tex]
{{I}_n}=\int _{0}^{2}{{\big(4-{x^2}\big)}^n}\delta x
[/tex]

Any indication on how to begin would be much appreciated as I've tried many different approaches but all have ended in failure.

Thanks

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'd try to repeatedly integrate by parts or possibly use the binomial expansion.

I think I have a solution just give me 5 mins to see if it works.

O.K it's been quite a few months since I've done this, so I can't remember if this reduction formulae is fairly simple.

If you use the substitution:

[tex]x = 2 \sin u[/tex]

It becomes:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}4^n\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \left( \cos^{2n-1} u \right) du[/tex]

I'm sure that can be done with a few trig identities and standard results but it's too late for me to think about it sorry.

Thanks for the swift responses guys I'll have a go at that tomorrow.

I'm not sure about this but referring back to my previous post could you just let m = 2n - 1 for n > 0 and then that's a fairly standard reduction formulae. I've never done something like that for a reduction formulae but I don't see why it can't be done.

You may well be able to do that, Zurtex, and I also don't see why it wouldn't work, the only trouble is that it wouldn't prove the relation I was asked to prove.

I managed to solve it (with help from maths teacher) using a very clever trick indeed. The solution is as follows if anyone is interested:

[tex]
{I }_n}\multsp =\int _{0}^{2}{{\big(4-{x^2}\big)}^n}\delta x \\\noalign\vspace{1.08333ex}} \\= {{{{\big[x{{\big(4-{x^2}\big)}^n}\big]}_0}}^2}+2n\int _{0}^{2}{x^2}{{\big(4-{x^2}\big)}^{n-1}}\delta
x \\\noalign{\vspace{1.08333ex}} \\ \multsp \multsp \multsp \multsp \multsp \multsp =\multsp 2n\int _{0}^{2}\big(4-\big[4-{x^2}\big]\big){{\big(4-{x^2}\big)}^{n-1}}\delta x
[/tex]

[tex]
\noalign{\vspace{1.08333ex}} \\ {{I }_n}\multsp \multsp =\multsp 8n\int _{0}^{2}{{\big(4-{x^2}\big)}^{n-1}}\delta x-2n\multsp {{I }_n} \\ \noalign{\vspace{0.833333ex}}
[/tex]

[tex]
{{I }_n}\multsp \multsp =\multsp 8n\multsp {{I }_{n-1}}-2n\multsp {{I }_n}
[/tex]

[tex]
\noalign{\vspace{0.916667ex}} \\
{{I }_n}\multsp \multsp =\multsp \frac{8n}{2n+1}{{I }_{n-1}
[/tex]

The trick, which I wouldn't have thought of for a very long time, was to write the [tex]x^2[/tex] term as [tex](4-[4-x^2])[/tex]

Last edited:
I thought I'd seen that before, that's really silly of me not to spot. Well done for working it out.

What happens in the very first step of the solution?

1. What is an integration reduction formula?

An integration reduction formula is a mathematical formula used to simplify the process of integrating certain types of functions. It allows for the integration of complex functions to be reduced to simpler forms, making the integration process more manageable.

2. How does an integration reduction formula work?

An integration reduction formula works by breaking down a complex function into simpler forms that are easier to integrate. This is achieved by using known integration rules and techniques, such as substitution or partial fractions, to manipulate the function into a more manageable form.

3. What types of functions can be integrated using an integration reduction formula?

An integration reduction formula can be used for a wide range of functions, including algebraic, trigonometric, exponential, and logarithmic functions. However, it is most commonly used for functions that involve powers of trigonometric functions.

4. Are there any limitations to using integration reduction formulas?

While integration reduction formulas can be incredibly useful in simplifying the integration process, they do have some limitations. For example, they may not work for all types of functions, and they may not always result in a closed-form solution.

5. How can I apply an integration reduction formula in my calculations?

To apply an integration reduction formula, you first need to identify the type of function you are trying to integrate. Then, you can use known integration rules and techniques, along with the appropriate reduction formula, to simplify the function and integrate it. Practice and familiarity with various reduction formulas are essential in effectively applying them in calculations.