Intensity after Laser Round Trip

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a flat mirror and a distributed cavity with given loss and gain coefficients. The goal is to determine the intensity of a light beam after passing through the cavity. The lecturer provides an equation for this calculation, but there is confusion about the value of 0.95, which is the losses on the mirror. It is mentioned that this value is not calculated, but rather determined by the construction of the mirror, with a 5% transmission and 95% reflection. The question also addresses the use of curved mirrors and reflection coefficients in similar problems.
cake-jake1

Homework Statement

Im having trouble understanding where the value of 0.95 came from which takes into account mirror losses.

1 Flat mirror, So no given reflection coefficients as system has no curved mirrors.
Given that the distributed cavity Loss coefficient is 10^-4 and the signal gain coefficient Is 10^-3.
Evaluate the intensity of the light beam after a round trip through the cavity of length 20cm.

Both coefficients are per cm.

Starting intensity is 1pW.

The Attempt at a Solution

Our lecturer actually gave us a sort of run through of this question,
And has Pout = Pin ( 1 + (20*gain - 20*loss)) *(losses on the mirror)
Losses on the mirror is given as 0.95. However I have no idea how this is calculated, and given a similar question is likely to come up in my final exam I am here asking for help!

Similarly I know there are scenarios where curved mirrors can be brought into the question and the reflection coefficient needs to be bought into play, how would this be done?

Many Thanks if anyone can help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
That value is not calculated it is just how the mirror is constructed, although I would think that the loss is 5% and 95% is reflected.

I agree with @andrevdh . Usually laser mirrors are constructed to transmit a small portion (say 5%) through and reflect the rest (95% in my example). Perhaps it said something about transmission factor. It has been awhile since I have worked with lasers.

1. What is the "Intensity after Laser Round Trip"?

The "Intensity after Laser Round Trip" refers to the amount of energy that is emitted from a laser beam after it has completed one full round trip within a laser cavity. This intensity is measured in watts per square meter (W/m²) and is an important factor in determining the overall power and effectiveness of a laser.

2. How is the intensity after laser round trip calculated?

The intensity after laser round trip is calculated by dividing the total energy output of the laser by the surface area of the beam. This calculation takes into account factors such as the laser's power, beam diameter, and beam divergence to determine the intensity at a specific point in the laser's path.

3. What factors can affect the intensity after laser round trip?

There are several factors that can affect the intensity after laser round trip. These include the laser's power, beam diameter, beam divergence, and any obstructions or losses within the laser cavity. Environmental factors such as temperature and humidity can also have an impact on the intensity of the laser beam.

4. Why is the intensity after laser round trip important?

The intensity after laser round trip is important because it directly affects the laser's ability to perform a specific task. For example, in medical applications, the intensity of a laser beam is crucial for precise and effective tissue ablation. In industrial applications, the intensity determines the cutting or welding capabilities of the laser.

5. How can the intensity after laser round trip be controlled?

The intensity after laser round trip can be controlled through various means, such as adjusting the laser's power output, beam diameter, or beam divergence. Additionally, using optical components such as lenses and mirrors can help manipulate the intensity of the laser beam. Regular maintenance and calibration of the laser can also ensure consistent and accurate intensity readings.