Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intensity of light along the iridium flare

1. Jun 17, 2015 #1
    Hello.
    I have some question about iridium flares. My brains can' t process the whole picture.

Iridium panell works like a mirror and reflects quite some percantege of light to the earth's surface, where it makes a bright spot with quite a big radeous. An observer sees a bright spot in the sky which is gradually becoming larger and then again slower, until you don t see it anymore. I can t understand why.

Why don' t we see just a momentary flash? Similar to when somone is annoying us with a watch which reflects sunlight into our eyes.

I was thinking that maybe it is because of rotation of the panell. I understand that if the angle of incidence is big, then the intensity will be smaller (changing with cosine function right ?). But then i thought that just a small change in the angle of panell would move this spot far away of the observer's position.

I was also thinking that it may have something to do with atmosphere, scattering of light and all. But i don't believe that would be the case.

My conclusion is that this spot on earth surface is not of the same intensity - getting smaller towards the edges. But i don' t understand why.

I would be so glad if someone explains it a bit. I can't stand this enigma anymore :)

Thank you so much, and sorry for my english.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2015 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

One factor (though likely not the only factor) is that the sun is not a point-like light source. As the panel moves into and out of position, a changing fraction of its disc is not reflecting directly to you.
    It is the same effect that causes the penumbra of an eclipse.

ole3.gif

penumbraphoto.jpg

4. Jun 17, 2015 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Like so:

light.png

5. Jun 17, 2015 #4
    Thank you so much!

I understand it perfectly now. I had some ideas when i was looking at the solar eclipse dark spots on the earth surface, but i wasn't able to drive it to the end. Thank you so much. I don't want to bi nagging and annoying and i hope you will excuse. Light intensity graph is more like this right?

light.png

Thank you again! I would be smashing my head for a while if you wouldn't help.

6. Jun 17, 2015 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Yes. PhotoShop doesn't do curved lines easily. :wink:

7. Jun 25, 2015 #6
    Hello Dave, i hope you will be reading this. I just wanted to aks you if this diagram is correct when explaining whole situation. Do you think there should be any corrections?
    Thank you :)

internet 2.png

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook