1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interaction between science and religion in the 17th century

1. Jun 8, 2007 #1
    I am writing an essay for a course regarding the history and philosophy of science. The topic is:
    "During the 17th century, there was intense interaction between science and religion. Using examples, mount an argument that takes a position on this interaction. In other words, with reference to some hisotrical examples, discuss whether you regard this relationship as positive, negative, or a combination of both."

What I get from this is that the examples must be from the 17th century. I am only aware of Galileo's trial, the conflict with the church of whether the Earth is stationary or moving. Other than this, I am feeling blank. I can't think of any other figures with examples of interaction between science and religion, can someone kindly remind me of some other examples?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks for helping!:)
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2007 #2
    you're forgetting that galilieo wrote a book called a dialogue on two world systems copernicus v ptolemy , so copernicus had something to do with it. descartes came up with about the cartesian duality, and rationalism basically, pascal argued for god, benedict spinoza did too. don't you have a textbook? mine has a chapter in it just about this.
  4. Jun 8, 2007 #3
    Copernicus is a good example, but not a 17th century figure...
    For Descartes, what are cartesian duality and rationalism? I haven't come across these terms yet...

And yes, I have 5 textbooks for this course, but there aren't any specific discussion between science and religion.
  5. Jun 8, 2007 #4
    galileo's word system was based on copernicus' ideas. cartesian duality is that you cannot be sure of the senses only your brain "i think therefore i am". rationalism is the consequent of that, everything has to be rationally, by the brain, proved. this obviously meant that mysticism was out. look up pascal's wager. honestly the real push for secularism was made by the philosophes not the scientists
  6. Jun 10, 2007 #5
    Oh, I see! :smile:
    But how do they relate to religion?
  7. Jun 10, 2007 #6

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Don't forget Giordano Bruno
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?