1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interaction Energy For Two Point Charges

1. Sep 21, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the interaction energy ( ##\epsilon_0 \int \vec{E_1}\cdot\vec{E_2}d\tau##) for two point charges, ##q_1## and ##q_2##, a distance ##a## apart. [Hint: put ##q_1## at the origin and ##q_2## on the z axis; use spherical coordinates, and do the ##r## integral first.]

2. Relevant equations
    Interaction Energy is given by: $$ \epsilon_0 \int \vec{E_1}\cdot\vec{E_2}d\tau$$
    where ##d\tau## is the volume element, which in spherical coordinates is ##rsin\theta dr d\theta d\phi##

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I know that $$\vec{E_1} = \frac{q_1}{4\pi\epsilon_0 r_1^2}\hat{r_1}$$ and $$\vec{E_2} = \frac{q_2}{4\pi\epsilon_0 r_2^2}\hat{r_2}$$
    So the dot product then is $$\vec{E_1}\cdot\vec{E_2} = \frac{1}{(4\pi\epsilon_0)^2} \frac{q_1}{r_1^2}\frac{q_2}{r_2^2}\hat{r_1}\cdot\hat{r_2}$$
    But since ##\hat{r}=\frac{\vec{r}}{|r|}##, this can be written as $$\vec{E_1}\cdot\vec{E_2} = \frac{1}{(4\pi\epsilon_0)^2} \frac{q_1}{r_1^3}\frac{q_2}{r_2^3}\vec{r_1}\cdot\vec{r_2}$$
    But I also know that the dot product can be expressed as ##\vec{E_1}\cdot\vec{E_2}=|E_1||E_2|cos\alpha## where ##\alpha## is the angle between them. So then ##\vec{E_1}\cdot\vec{E_2}## can also be written as $$\vec{E_1}\cdot\vec{E_2} = \frac{1}{(4\pi\epsilon_0)^2} \frac{q_1}{r_1^2}\frac{q_2}{r_2^2}cos\alpha$$
    So now, I'm not sure which version would be better to use because I don't know how to relate ##\alpha## to ##\theta## in the last version and for the first two versions, I'm not really sure how to define the position vectors because if ##q_1## is at the origin and ##q_2## is on the z axis then ##\vec{r_1}\cdot\vec{r_2}=0## and then the whole thing would just be 0 right? And when I go to integrate over ##r##, which ##r## is used in the volume element since there is ##r_1## and ##r_2##? I feel like there is some geometry that I am missing. And is the integration just the usual ##0\leq r \leq \infty##, ##0\leq\theta\leq \pi##, ##0\leq\phi\leq 2\pi##? Any help would be awesome!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why would ##\vec{r_1}\cdot\vec{r_2}=0##? (The two vectors are not the position vectors of the two particles.)

4. Sep 21, 2016 #3
    Well my thinking was that if ##q_1## is at the origin then ##\vec{r_1}=(0,0,0)## and if ##q_2## is on the z axis then ##\vec{r_2}=(0,0,a)##. So then ##\vec{r_1}\cdot\vec{r_2}=r_{x1}r_{x2}+r_{y1}r_{y2}+r_{z1}r_{z2}=(0)(0)+(0)(0)+(0)(a)=0## right?

5. Sep 21, 2016 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##\vec{r}_1## is not the position vector that locates ##q_1##.

In the formula ## \vec{E} = \frac{kq }{r^3} \vec{r} ##, how would you describe the meaning of the vector ##\vec{r}##?

6. Sep 21, 2016 #5
    Omg I think I got it. So ##\vec{r}## would be the vector describing the distance from the point charge to the reference point right? So then at some reference point P, the vector from ##q_1## would be ##\vec{r}=x\hat{x}+y\hat{y}+z\hat{z}## and from ##q_2## it would be ##\vec{r}=x\hat{x}+y\hat{y}+(z-a)\hat{z}##. Is that right? so then $$E_1=kq_1\frac{(x\hat{x}+y\hat{y}+z\hat{z})}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}$$ and $$E_2=kq_2\frac{(x\hat{x}+y\hat{y}+(z-a)\hat{z})}{(x^2+y^2+(z-a)^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}$$. Is that correct?

7. Sep 21, 2016 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted