Interconnectedness of all things ?

• Thread starter hadeka
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the belief of some individuals in paranormal experiences, claiming scientific evidence through the interconnectedness of all things as explained by quantum physics. However, there is no scientific basis for this belief and it can be attributed to the human tendency to seek mystical explanations for the unknown. The true significance of quantum mechanics lies in its discovery of the probabilistic behavior of sub-atomic particles, not in the idea of a universal energy.
hadeka
Interconnectedness of all things ?!

Hi all ..

I have a question please.

Poeple that believe and practice mystical, and paranormal experiences,, claim that there is a scientific evidence that support their experiences.
This evidence, is that according to quantum physics, everything in the universe is interconnected, and according to that sub-atomic particles can exist in many places at once .. and that everything in the universe is interconnected by the universal energy ...

So, is that all real ??! yes or no ??! and why ?!

thank you ... and waiting for your reply ...

Hadeka.

Physics news on Phys.org
Short answer: no. There is no place for mysticism in science, other than as something to be explained away. Quantum mechanics is such a little-understood subject that charlatans will naturally gravitate toward it as an incomprehensible way to bamboozle the masses. Whether or not they actually know anything about it, they can manipulate aspects of it to suit their purposes. I'll leave it to the scientists here to elaborate upon it.

hadeka said:
Hi all ..

Poeple that believe and practice mystical, and paranormal experiences,, claim that there is a scientific evidence that support their experiences.
This evidence, is that according to quantum physics, everything in the universe is interconnected, and according to that sub-atomic particles can exist in many places at once .. and that everything in the universe is interconnected by the universal energy ...

Hadeka.

Pythagoras thought that the "secret of the universe" was lying in the rational numbers (and was hence deeply shocked by the discovery of sqrt(2) ) ; Plato thought that nature was to be understood by the perfection that resides in the Idea of Circle and Line. Medieval scholastics thought that the universe's secrets were based upon number properties such as 3 and 7 and so on.

I guess that the modern version is the quantum-mechanical wavefunction.

Although quantum theory does introduce some very strange ideas, it is always a mistake to err on the mystical side. The mystical side finds its attractiveness in the obscure and the un-understood, or better, the only very partly understood. Once something is well-understood and one has knowledge of why certain things behave the way they do, they loose all mysticism. "The obscure by the more obscure" (Nostradamus) is not the scientific way of looking upon things, but has always had a strange attraction on the human mind.

Danger said:
There is no place for mysticism in science, other than as something to be explained away.
Is it customary here to rule away social sciences? o:)

hadeka said:
Hi all ..

Hadeka.

What is truly mystical is how human intelligence, observation, and understanding may have an actual effect, in and of itself, on the environment. If ones own understanding and beliefs can have a real effect in reality, we tend to think of that as magic. And quantum mechanics offers these mystics a possible means of scientific explanation for these events. But the explanations have not been convincing so far.

But perhaps there is an explanation. It just may be that human intelligence and belief may constitute a system that possesses entropy. It is this intelligence and belief which results in engineering highly complex systems like computer chips that represent low entropy states. And we would measure the state of a psychotic maniac to be in a higher state of entropy than, say, a creative genius.

Then if we use some results of black hole entropy studies, that entropy can not change instantaneously, it might be concievable that miracles could happen for those who have enough faith. Instant destruction can not happen for them, and thus miracle occur to prevent it, because their beliefs have such a high state of entropy that it cannot be instantly destroyed.

Comments?

Danger said:
Short answer: no. There is no place for mysticism in science, other than as something to be explained away. Quantum mechanics is such a little-understood subject that charlatans will naturally gravitate toward it as an incomprehensible way to bamboozle the masses. Whether or not they actually know anything about it, they can manipulate aspects of it to suit their purposes. I'll leave it to the scientists here to elaborate upon it.

Absolutely.

That said...

There is something going on quantum physics that you might care to look at. The first two statements are actually true, but the bit about "universal energy" is lobbing metaphysical beliefs into the mix where they don't belong.

What's happening is that QM is discovering the the sub-atomic world behaves very much as if everything happens according probability waves and formulas that defy all intuition. The functions *are* interconnecting in amazing ways between light, matter, fields, etc. It's actually more fascinating than what the paranormal folks are saying, because it's REAL, and it's still about as mind bending as you could as for. Read about the experiments and understand the implications for yourself and don't rely on what dribbles down to you from other sources. You don't have to have much math to get the full WOW of it, just persistence. The problem is that the paranormal folks don't bother to understand what is really going on, and/or lump their own belief systems into it without foundation.

Mike2 said:
What is truly mystical is how human intelligence, observation, and understanding may have an actual effect, in and of itself, on the environment. ..

Why does it have to be mystical? I'd settle for "wonderous", and "inspiring", but not mystical. The things you mention have an effect because we *do* them, not because intelligence oozes into the woodwork of reality. Well, at least I haven't been able to prove it so far. :smile:

Instant destruction can not happen for them, and thus miracle occur to prevent it, because their beliefs have such a high state of entropy that it cannot be instantly destroyed.

Comments?

Even if such a thing were true, I think you're grossly under-estimating the difference in entropy represented by a person compared to the world and the universe around him. Destruction of macro systems is never instant anyway, so it doesn't matter if your entropy is a bit better, you won't see the difference. Also, I think you're using entropy backwards; high entropy means maximum dispersal.

Truthfully, I want miracles to be true; now if someone would just point me at one that I can see and touch...

If you want to live forever, read up on the many worlds idea of quantum suicide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_suicide" [Broken]

The problem with this, is you have to shoot yourself. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Cane_Toad said:
Even if such a thing were true, I think you're grossly under-estimating the difference in entropy represented by a person compared to the world and the universe around him. Destruction of macro systems is never instant anyway, so it doesn't matter if your entropy is a bit better, you won't see the difference.

Truthfully, I want miracles to be true; now if someone would just point me at one that I can see and touch...

The problem is in how to measure the entropy of correct thinking and right belief systems. But we do talk about measuring the entropy of computer code and written information, which is just pure abstractions with no physicality in and of themselves. Do the thoughts and ideas about creating the code have more or less entropy than the code itself? Which has more entropy? I would think that if entropy must increase, and the code is the result of the ingenuity of the writer, than the very idea of the code must have less entropy than the code itself.

Mike2 said:
The problem is in how to measure the entropy of correct thinking and right belief systems.

I think entropy measured in terms of information density, so my guess is that equally complex "right" and "wrong" concepts would be equivalent, entropy-wise. My guess is also that the entropy of any concept would be insignificant in comparison to the brain tissue that held it.

I don't think entropy is going to be any kind of moral or ethical metric. Well, it might indirectly, in that Evil likes to destroy, and Good likes to create, in trite terms, but those are actions directly translatable into entropic changes.

But we do talk about measuring the entropy of computer code and written information, which is just pure abstractions with no physicality in and of themselves. Do the thoughts and ideas about creating the code have more or less entropy than the code itself? Which has more entropy? I would think that if entropy must increase, and the code is the result of the ingenuity of the writer, than the very idea of the code must have less entropy than the code itself.

Code is certainly more than abstraction. It takes up physical resources, as well as information complexity. My guess is the code would have much less entropy (i.e. better), since an idea is much lighter weight than all the work that goes into creating the code for it, and it's interface with the surrounding code, and the hardware, etc. An ingenius idea has less entropy that a stupid idea, I'd think, because it packs more information into a tighter package. However, translating an ingenius idea into computer code takes ingenius code, or lots of mediocre code, but the balance is about the same.

BTW, entropy doesn't have to increase or decrease in any particular instance, all we know is that the entropy of the containing system will increase. Lower entropy things are created constantly, take an egg to an adult for example.

My guess is that if the universe is keeping score of good and evil, it will be using a more sublime measure than entropy, or if it does use entropy, then it will take the human race a few million years of colonizing the Milky Way for us to even get noticed.

vanesch said:
Although quantum theory does introduce some very strange ideas, it is always a mistake to err on the mystical side. The mystical side finds its attractiveness in the obscure and the un-understood, or better, the only very partly understood. Once something is well-understood and one has knowledge of why certain things behave the way they do, they loose all mysticism.
How do u know this? It could also be that once one understands how things work, mysticism turns out to be true.

Of course, if u are talking about it semantically, then yes mysticism disappears because there is no longer a mystery.

Well, I take the mysticism thesis to be that certain things cannot be rationally understood, but are ineffable and can only be known through experience. This thesis precludes the possibility of explanation and hence understanding in the sense of being able to explain.

Back to the original question, though, is it actually the case that quantum theory claims all subatomic particles are interconnected? I've heard of quantum entanglement, but not of every single particle in existence being entangled. And how many mystics really say that quantum theory can explain their experiences? I know a lot of Northern Californian new-agers do so, but has any mystical tradition with any long history actually made this claim?

loseyourname said:
Back to the original question, though, is it actually the case that quantum theory claims all subatomic particles are interconnected? I've heard of quantum entanglement, but not of every single particle in existence being entangled. And how many mystics really say that quantum theory can explain their experiences? I know a lot of Northern Californian new-agers do so, but has any mystical tradition with any long history actually made this claim?

Well, all particles, atoms, molecules, cells, people, planets, etc. all have wave functions, of increasing decoherence, of course. Thus, one can say that everything is part if a big path integral, although it's true that calculable effects can only be seen between subatomic particles.

Still, the idea is implicit in QM that at each instant to truly know all the infinitesimal influences on an event, one would have to integrate the universe, no? In practice, of course, infinitesimals approach zero, and are excluded from meaningful calculations.

PIT2 said:
How do u know this? It could also be that once one understands how things work, mysticism turns out to be true.

The distinction is that until the understanding happens, unsupportable ideas should be considered hypotheses, but mysticism puts them into the category of "faith", which is outside of science.

The trouble with issues like this is that people only learn ONE part of physics and ignores the rest. And when they do that, they are also ignoring something that could make their guesses utterly wrong.

Let's get ONE FACT VERY clear. There is a distinction between the quantum world that is described by QM, and the classical world that we are very familiar with. You do NOT normally observe quantum superposition, entanglement, phase coherence, etc... etc.. in our classical world. Even when such weird phenomena manifest themselves at the macroscopic scale, most people don't recognize it (example: superconductivity). Thus, our world is VERY different than the quantum world. If not, we would not be able to use classical laws to build our houses and make our vehicles run.

So already there is a problem in extrapolating QM phenomena into the classical regime. We just don't see it, nor can we measure its effects. But there is another often-neglected aspect of physics that could throw a severe wrench into such extrapolation - the study of PHASE TRANSITION.

Any physicist worth his/her salt would know what this is, and why it would be relevant here. In a phase transition (such as going from ice to water), the thermodynamical behavior that is valid in ice cannot be extrapolated into the water phase. It just won't work! There is a discontinuity of several thermodynamical variables right at the phase transition. It means that the trend that we see in each phase cannot simply be extended through to the other phase. They behave differently right after that phase transition.

Now, no one knows if the distinction between quantum and classical world is similar to a phase transition, or simply a continuous crossover. Studies that are continuing in this area are starting to indicate that https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1315661&postcount=42" as a quantum system is coupled to a large degree of freedom. But regardless of that, our knowledge of what goes on with phase transition should make everyone weary of bastardizing QM in such manner. You simply cannot extrapolate the phenomena and description of one regime into another without ample justification. So far, there's none. In fact, there's mounting evidence that you just can't do that.

This is what happens when only one aspect of physics is taken while the rest is ignored. Physics cannot be used, much less understood, in bit and pieces. It is ironic that the argument of "interconnectedness" on things here actually ignores the interconnectedness of various areas of physics.

Zz.

If one version of the scientist dies.. Where would the consciousness be placed? In the living one I assume?

raolduke said:
If one version of the scientist dies.. Where would the consciousness be placed? In the living one I assume?

Clearly, the consciousness is duplicated with the body in the duplicated universe. I don't think anybody has proposed a conservation of consciousness, though that would be funny. :smile:

I think Bohm claimed that at some level the entire universe is interconnected (he wrote a book called "wholeness and implicate order"). And the idea of an interconnected whole is accepted as the state of the universe during the moment of the big bang.

Of course in physics they want to leave consciousness out of the equation ("it should be dealt with by neuroscience"), but when one considers the idea that it goes back in time all the way to the bigbang, the experiences of mystics make sense.

hadeka said:
People that believe and practice mystical, and paranormal experiences, claim that there is a scientific evidence that support their experiences.
This evidence, is that according to quantum physics, everything in the universe is interconnected, and according to that sub-atomic particles can exist in many places at once .. and that everything in the universe is interconnected by the universal energy

Ironically it was the physicists, not the mystics, who started this nonsense. I can't imagine someone having a mystical experience and thinking "geez, this is just like quantum mechanics!".

Ordinarily people interpreted mystical experiences in the context of their religious beliefs, but nowadays nothing seems to matter much unless it has the rubberstamp of "science". I still think mystical experiences mean exactly what they mean, and science has nothing to do with it one way or another.

Everything you have ever experienced is a sensation generated by your own brain. This is the way in which everything that you will ever experience is interconnected.

Ironically it was the physicists, not the mystics, who started this nonsense. I can't imagine someone having a mystical experience and thinking "geez, this is just like quantum mechanics!".

Was it the physicists who started it? Or was it the oppurtunists who transmitted there poor understanding of quantum physics to the masses for personal gain?

Most of the connections between QM and mysticism were started by the sensationalist newspapers of the first half of the 20th century. The current popularity of these discussions is due mostly to Brian Greene, who I consider to have no more integrity then Paris Hilton, Britney Spears, et al. Let's finally let these silly vague speculations go away. Learn physics if you want, but don't propogate garbage.

Last edited:
Crosson said:
Everything you have ever experienced is a sensation generated by your own brain. This is the way in which everything that you will ever experience is interconnected.

If that is true, then the mystics are right.

Was it the physicists who started it? Or was it the oppurtunists who transmitted there poor understanding of quantum physics to the masses for personal gain?

Come on, stop for a minute and think: how can a person without training look at, say, Schrödinger's equation and see a cat that is half-dead and half-alive? To a non-physicist quantum mechanics looks just like a bunch of cryptic Greek letters and undecipherable jargon.

The current popularity of these discussions is due mostly to Brian Greene, who I consider to have no more integrity then Paris Hilton, Britney Spears, et al. Let's finally let these silly vague speculations go away. Learn physics if you want, but don't propogate garbage.

Even here, I think the blame is still with the physicists. They should come out and declare openly that they don't understand what they are doing, that quantum mechanics does not describe the world as it really is, and that physics is nothing more than a tool to help engineers get the job done at best, and an expensive pastime at worst. Until they do so, people will feel justified believing physicists are on to something.

Crosson said:
Or was it the oppurtunists who transmitted there poor understanding of quantum physics to the masses for personal gain?
I think there are 2 bad situations: the people who claim QM proves that paranormal events exist and that mysticism is right, and the physicalists who try to distort QM by claiming there is no connection between it and mysticism.

Most of the connections between QM and mysticism were started by the sensationalist newspapers of the first half of the 20th century.
Schrodinger himself also saw connections between millennia old mysticism and QM.

I guess, even if QM explains paranormal or parapsychological phenomena, so they are no longer paranormal of parapsychological ...
they are just normal ..

The world is matter ,, and there is nothing beyond matter ..

it's only the capacity of our knowledge to explain phenomenas.
So there is nothing beyond nature ... There is just many things beyound our current understanding .. and it is a matter of time to understand it.

Last edited:
nabuco said:
Originally Posted by Crosson View Post

If that is true, then the mystics are right.

I see Crosson's comment as neurologist's point of view, not a mystic's. I could be mistaken, but he seems to be limiting interconnectedness to what your senses and your brain make of the world.

Come on, stop for a minute and think: how can a person without training look at, say, Schrödinger's equation and see a cat that is half-dead and half-alive? To a non-physicist quantum mechanics looks just like a bunch of cryptic Greek letters and undecipherable jargon.

Both are true. There are plenty of opportunist physicists. Brian Greene is a physicist, Gary Zukav is educated enough to know better, and even guys like Penrose manage to raise the level of hype, IMHO, through the very commercialism he uses to title his books with.

Even here, I think the blame is still with the physicists. They should come out and declare openly that they don't understand what they are doing, that quantum mechanics does not describe the world as it really is, and that

This statement remains to be seen. QM clearly does describe the real world, but not at the macro scale, and that's just for now. Yes, QM is a tool, but the more I understand about it, the deeper the significance goes for me.

physics is nothing more than a tool to help engineers get the job done at best, and an expensive pastime at worst. Until they do so, people will feel justified believing physicists are on to something.

They *are* onto something. QM is truly fascinating in its own right, more so than the fictionalized stuff, but that's just me. I find the ramifications of QM about the nature of reality better food for the soul than anything I've heard in a long, long time.

You can try to lay the blame on the physicists if you like, but that's not practical. Remember, the physicists aren't media darlings. With the exception of Einstein, all the down to Earth ones were too boring for the media to care to talk about. Well, Openheimer, but that's a different story.

I'll wager that there isn't one Hollywood exec who would ever allow any reality into any movie, cause all they care about are the viewers they've already conditioned to lick up their pap. My WAG is that only 1% of the movie goers cringe at the crap they teach the populace.

If you were to write a book that said, "Quantum Physics, the hard cold facts", who's gunna buy it? A recent poll has 40% of Americans refusing to believe in evolution, and there is a huge amount of educational effort that has been trying to fix that for most of the 20th century. NOBODY WANTS TO HEAR IT! (Well, not nobody, but the already converted aren't the problem.)

The only hope in this arena is if some sort of "foundation" were set up to do television adds like the milk and beef industry does. The problem is, that such adds would have no economic return, so who's going to finance it? All the working physicists with their million dollar salaries?

Sigh. Sigh, and sigh again. A subject as complex as QM has no chance until the playing field changes from our religious based society which refuses to accept anything that doesn't make them feel all warm inside.

God, I hate people. :biggrin:

nabuco said:

You are forgetting pop-science books. Many people without any physics training read them and think they have mastered it.

And if you think this is just confined to amateurs, then I suggest you trace back each step of the way that led to the Alan Sokal hoax in Social Text. Those postmodernists did not think their lack of physics knowledge was any hindrance to them using and bastardizing not just QM, but also Relativity in formulating their ideas.

Even here, I think the blame is still with the physicists. They should come out and declare openly that they don't understand what they are doing, that quantum mechanics does not describe the world as it really is, and that physics is nothing more than a tool to help engineers get the job done at best, and an expensive pastime at worst. Until they do so, people will feel justified believing physicists are on to something.

Eh? And you think classical mechanics actually can describe the world "as it really is"? Or can you show me something that you would qualify as describing the world as it really is?

There's more validity to QM than there is to your statement above.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
The trouble with issues like this is that people only learn ONE part of physics and ignores the rest. And when they do that, they are also ignoring something that could make their guesses utterly wrong.

Let's get ONE FACT VERY clear. There is a distinction between the quantum world that is described by QM, and the classical world that we are very familiar with. You do NOT normally observe quantum superposition, entanglement, phase coherence, etc... etc.. in our classical world. Even when such weird phenomena manifest themselves at the macroscopic scale, most people don't recognize it (example: superconductivity). Thus, our world is VERY different than the quantum world. If not, we would not be able to use classical laws to build our houses and make our vehicles run.

So already there is a problem in extrapolating QM phenomena into the classical regime. We just don't see it, nor can we measure its effects. But there is another often-neglected aspect of physics that could throw a severe wrench into such extrapolation - the study of PHASE TRANSITION.

Any physicist worth his/her salt would know what this is, and why it would be relevant here. In a phase transition (such as going from ice to water), the thermodynamical behavior that is valid in ice cannot be extrapolated into the water phase. It just won't work! There is a discontinuity of several thermodynamical variables right at the phase transition. It means that the trend that we see in each phase cannot simply be extended through to the other phase. They behave differently right after that phase transition.

Now, no one knows if the distinction between quantum and classical world is similar to a phase transition, or simply a continuous crossover. Studies that are continuing in this area are starting to indicate that https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1315661&postcount=42" as a quantum system is coupled to a large degree of freedom. But regardless of that, our knowledge of what goes on with phase transition should make everyone weary of bastardizing QM in such manner. You simply cannot extrapolate the phenomena and description of one regime into another without ample justification. So far, there's none. In fact, there's mounting evidence that you just can't do that.

This is what happens when only one aspect of physics is taken while the rest is ignored. Physics cannot be used, much less understood, in bit and pieces. It is ironic that the argument of "interconnectedness" on things here actually ignores the interconnectedness of various areas of physics.

Zz.

Nicely put and mostly understood! Thank you Zapper dude!

hadeka said:
I guess, even if QM explains paranormal or parapsychological phenomena, so they are no longer paranormal of parapsychological ...
they are just normal ..

You are forgetting one very important thing. To be able to explain something, you have to FIRST of all show that that "something" truly exists. Those phenomena that you have described have spent the better part of the last 100 to 200 years trying to get out of first gear and show conclusively that they exist! How much longer are you going to give them?

At the same time, look at all the verified phenomena in science. Not only have we show their existence, but our knowledge of them continues to accumulate. We have more accurate and more extensive qualitative and quantitative descriptions of them.

These two distinctions are something most people do not seem to be aware of and what continues to separate between pseudosciences and valid sciences. You can't expect to extrapolate something from science to explain something that isn't even yet verified to exist, much less having any quantitative validity. It is why your question is rather moot at this point.

Zz.

PIT2 said:
I think there are 2 bad situations: the people who claim QM proves that paranormal events exist and that mysticism is right, and the physicalists who try to distort QM by claiming there is no connection between it and mysticism.

Huh? I find approximately 0.0% mysticism in the QM I've seen so far. That's not to say that QM doesn't affect me in the same way mystical things did for me when I was a child.

Schrodinger himself also saw connections between millennia old mysticism and QM.

I skimmed the entry, and I didn't see what you're talking about. Note that his cat experiment was anti-mysticism, even though it got exported incorrectly. The media would rather have cool story about a cat that is neither dead or alive.

Regardless, many physicists retain their religious beliefs, though I find it hard to see how, but they (by and large) keep it separate from their science.

ZapperZ said:
These two distinctions are something most people do not seem to be aware of and what continues to separate between pseudosciences and valid sciences. You can't expect to extrapolate something from science to explain something that isn't even yet verified to exist, much less having any quantitative validity. It is why your question is rather moot at this point.

Zz.

You seem to be forgetting that the paranormal phenomena *are* verified, by stubborn assertion. As long as you have people walking around with digital thermometers demonstrating the existence of ghosts, your distinctions aren't going to carry any weight with the problem demographic.

Until you can change what people *want* to understand, I don't know how progress can be made.

hadeka said:
The world is matter ,, and there is nothing beyond matter ..

I disagree. This is the fascinating thing about QM. It is showing that matter, as we know it, isn't the final story. All that we can find underneath matter is pure probability. So far, QM is telling us that the workings of the sub-atomic realm have no intersection with how we normally perceive the world. We don't know where this is going to lead, but isn't that enough keep you pondering for a good long spell?

Cane_Toad said:
Huh? I find approximately 0.0% mysticism in the QM I've seen so far. That's not to say that QM doesn't affect me in the same way mystical things did for me when I was a child.
The reason u do not see this in physics, is because it is not fruitful to get consciousness involved in it. It only complicates matters from a physicalist point of view (try to write an equation with consciousness in it), and there is no way to test or falsify it anyway.

If u think mysticism deals with the fantasies of children, then perhaps u have missed the possible connections between QM and mysticism, because u haven't informed urself about the latter?

I skimmed the entry, and I didn't see what you're talking about. Note that his cat experiment was anti-mysticism, even though it got exported incorrectly. The media would rather have cool story about a cat that is neither dead or alive.
If u read the text on this page ("what is life") and especially the conclusion, u will find some of his ideas about it: http://home.att.net/~p.caimi/schrodinger.html [Broken]

ZapperZ, and Cane_Toad:

The problem, is that people want to believe in a certain thing, so they create their own evidences to support their claims, and beliefs.

Thousands of years ago, people thought that earthquakes are caused because of god's anger.
Now, it will be extremely stupid to think of such explanation.

Now, people do the same.
They get the easiest explanation. because of nothing but just a lack of knowledge.

The claims of paranormal phenomenas are controversial since thousands of years ago ... These controversies, are about its existence.
Skeptics are always against believers.
We see that skeptics offer logical and scientific explanations to prove that all these claims are hoax .. unlike believers, who only offer professional ignorance toward any logical or scientific basics.

As "Cane_Toad" said .. we should first change the way people think by offering scientific and logical bases ... instead of leaving them swimming in the ocean of pseudoscience and ignorance.

Cane_Toad said:
I disagree. This is the fascinating thing about QM. It is showing that matter, as we know it, isn't the final story. All that we can find underneath matter is pure probability. So far, QM is telling us that the workings of the sub-atomic realm have no intersection with how we normally perceive the world. We don't know where this is going to lead, but isn't that enough keep you pondering for a good long spell?

What you said here, doesn't contradict what i said.

Probability is not an existence underneath matter ... It is the way matter behave ..

hadeka said:
Probability is not an existence underneath matter ... It is the way matter behave ..

Yes, I know QM ostensibly only describes behavior. My point is that QM is showing no evidence of anything more "real" at the sub-atomic level than the probabilities and formulas that have been found to work more or less perfectly. None of what we know classically seems to map into QM.

What I'm seeing through the QM lens is an arena where all that there is are self consistent formulae. The leap I'm making, and it's premature I know, is that if all that can be found below the atom level is probability, then maybe that's what existence is at that level. I.e.

Sherlock Holmes, "How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"

It's just a viewpoint I'm in the process of forming, so it's incomplete.

hadeka said:
ZapperZ, and Cane_Toad:

The problem, is that people want to believe in a certain thing, so they create their own evidences to support their claims, and beliefs.

Thousands of years ago, people thought that earthquakes are caused because of god's anger.
Now, it will be extremely stupid to think of such explanation.

Now, people do the same.
They get the easiest explanation. because of nothing but just a lack of knowledge.

The claims of paranormal phenomenas are controversial since thousands of years ago ... These controversies, are about its existence.
Skeptics are always against believers.
We see that skeptics offer logical and scientific explanations to prove that all these claims are hoax .. unlike believers, who only offer professional ignorance toward any logical or scientific basics.

As "Cane_Toad" said .. we should first change the way people think by offering scientific and logical bases ... instead of leaving them swimming in the ocean of pseudoscience and ignorance.

But you just contradicted yourself. You first said that these people create their own evidence to support their claims. This means that no amount of rational explanation will change their minds, even scientific explanation.

I've seen way too many instances where people are more swayed by bells and whistles rather than hard scientific evidence. Why? Because they are just not equipped to evaluate when a hard evidence is being presented, and when something is only anecdotal.

So when you add those two, what do you think will happen?

BTW, what does this have anything to do with your original question? Or has that been put to sleep already?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I've seen way too many instances where people are more swayed by bells and whistles rather than hard scientific evidence. Why? Because they are just not equipped to evaluate when a hard evidence is being presented, and when something is only anecdotal.

It's worse than "not equipped". Take the case with evolution. It comes down to an insistance that the hard evidence is merely anecdotal, making way for the replacement by more convenient facts.

BTW, what does this have anything to do with your original question? Or has that been put to sleep already?

Zz.

Well, part of it is certainly diatribe about how we've gotten into the place where QM has become a vehicle for mystical ideas about interconnectedness.

(Meanwhile, I'm trying to proselytize my ideas about how the actual interconnectedness in the QM framework is much more interesting. :smile: )

<h2>1. What is the interconnectedness of all things?</h2><p>The interconnectedness of all things is the concept that everything in the universe is connected and affects each other in some way. This includes living beings, non-living objects, and even abstract concepts.</p><h2>2. How does the interconnectedness of all things affect our daily lives?</h2><p>The interconnectedness of all things can affect our daily lives in various ways. For example, the weather can impact our mood and behavior, our actions can have a ripple effect on others, and our choices can have consequences on the environment.</p><h2>3. Is there scientific evidence for the interconnectedness of all things?</h2><p>While the interconnectedness of all things is a philosophical concept, there is scientific evidence that supports it. For instance, quantum entanglement shows that particles can be connected even when separated by vast distances, and chaos theory demonstrates how small changes in one system can have a significant impact on another.</p><h2>4. Can the interconnectedness of all things be observed in nature?</h2><p>Yes, the interconnectedness of all things can be observed in nature. Ecosystems, for example, rely on the interconnectedness of different species to maintain balance and thrive. Additionally, the water cycle and nutrient cycles demonstrate how all living and non-living things are connected and dependent on each other.</p><h2>5. How can understanding the interconnectedness of all things benefit society?</h2><p>Understanding the interconnectedness of all things can benefit society in many ways. It can help us make more informed decisions that consider the impact on all aspects of the interconnected system. It can also foster a sense of empathy and responsibility towards our actions and their consequences on others and the environment.</p>

1. What is the interconnectedness of all things?

The interconnectedness of all things is the concept that everything in the universe is connected and affects each other in some way. This includes living beings, non-living objects, and even abstract concepts.

2. How does the interconnectedness of all things affect our daily lives?

The interconnectedness of all things can affect our daily lives in various ways. For example, the weather can impact our mood and behavior, our actions can have a ripple effect on others, and our choices can have consequences on the environment.

3. Is there scientific evidence for the interconnectedness of all things?

While the interconnectedness of all things is a philosophical concept, there is scientific evidence that supports it. For instance, quantum entanglement shows that particles can be connected even when separated by vast distances, and chaos theory demonstrates how small changes in one system can have a significant impact on another.

4. Can the interconnectedness of all things be observed in nature?

Yes, the interconnectedness of all things can be observed in nature. Ecosystems, for example, rely on the interconnectedness of different species to maintain balance and thrive. Additionally, the water cycle and nutrient cycles demonstrate how all living and non-living things are connected and dependent on each other.

5. How can understanding the interconnectedness of all things benefit society?

Understanding the interconnectedness of all things can benefit society in many ways. It can help us make more informed decisions that consider the impact on all aspects of the interconnected system. It can also foster a sense of empathy and responsibility towards our actions and their consequences on others and the environment.