Interested in a General Knowledge Quiz during Chat?

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter Hootenanny
  • Start date
In summary, the Physics Forums Quiz will be resurrected this coming Sunday and is just for fun! Anyone is welcome to join and/or participate.
Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A while ago we used to have a regular Sunday Quiz in the chat rooms. And this Sunday, I am likely going to be in a hotel room on my own :frown:, so I was thinking: would anyone be interested in having a General Knowledge Quiz during chat?

I would be more than happy to write the questions and run the quiz if there was enough interest.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, several members have requested quizzes!

We can set the time, I'll do the score keeping.

A quiz would be fun! :smile:

Evo said:
We can set the time, I'll do the score keeping.
Excellent - you can be my glamorous assistant :tongue2:

The best time for me would probably be 9pm GMT and the quiz would probably run for an hour.

I'll wait and see if there is anymore interest before I start writing the questions - it'll not be much fun with just the three of us!

I'll do my best to be there, Hoot.

Judging from the only quiz I took part in (it was run by Gokul if memory serves me well), I will better just sit and watch.

I wrote and ran a quiz a few years ago. I found it's tough to come up with questions that aren't easily googled (i.e., it should not reward the person who is fastest at copy-paste-google). The quiz should be based on knowledge that is independent of culture, too - that's a toughie.

lisab said:
The quiz should be based on knowledge that is independent of culture, too - that's a toughie.

Plenty of possible problems. There are movies that everyone knows, so question about the movie can be OK - but quite often movies are shown in other countries with a translated title, and quite often the translated title is not identical to the original. I remember Gokul asked about a movie, and I was sure I know what the movie is - but I still had no idea what the answer was.

For example - in what movie Luke meets Yoda? The Empire Counter-attacks :rolleyes:

Sure, I'm up for kicking some *** on a Brit-themed quiz!

That's the topic, right, Hoot? :biggrin:

Borek said:
Judging from the only quiz I took part in (it was run by Gokul if memory serves me well), I will better just sit and watch.
I'm not intending the quiz to be all that serious! It will be fun with lots of unusual questions!
lisab said:
I wrote and ran a quiz a few years ago. I found it's tough to come up with questions that aren't easily googled (i.e., it should not reward the person who is fastest at copy-paste-google). The quiz should be based on knowledge that is independent of culture, too - that's a toughie.
I'll be designing a relatively "google proof" quiz in that most of the questions won't be easily google-able and those who know that answer will be quicker at answering than those who don't.
cristo said:
Sure, I'm up for kicking some *** on a Brit-themed quiz!

That's the topic, right, Hoot? :biggrin:
Of course! A word of warning to those who don't know - I'm British, so the quiz is bound to be ever so slightly eccentric. :wink:

I'll come up with a format and make an announcement before Sunday!

I'd love to come and teach cristo a thing or two, but I'm probably going to be at the pub. Besides there has to be a few really good real ale places there Hoot. :wink:

I'm all for it.

Hootenanny said:
And this Sunday, I am likely going to be in a hotel room on my own

Well I know the tedium of a Sunday away from your family, in a hotel room, unable to progress the job that you are there for because everyone who works for the customer is spending Sunday with their families. I would love to participate if I am welcome.

Ken Natton said:
Well I know the tedium of a Sunday away from your family, in a hotel room, unable to progress the job that you are there for because everyone who works for the customer is spending Sunday with their families. I would love to participate if I am welcome.
Of course! Everyone is more than welcome. Details to follow shortly.

Kurdt said:
I'd love to come and teach cristo a thing or two, but I'm probably going to be at the pub. Besides there has to be a few really good real ale places there Hoot. :wink:
There probably is, but I'm giving a talk in the morning so I want to keep a fairly clear head!

Announcing the Physics Forums Quiz
Sunday September 4th 2011
21:00 GMT

This coming Sunday will see the resurrection of the Physics Forums Quiz during Sunday's chat session. The quiz is just for fun and all are welcome! The quiz will take place in the dedicated quiz chat room. All interested members are invited to join and/or participate in the contest. Simply by joining the room, you are eligible to participate in the quiz. You may join and leave at any time.

Rules
  1. The quiz is purely for fun, anyone taking it too seriously will be slapped with a fish!
  2. The FIRST member to answer the question correctly as determined by what is displayed on the quiz master's chat screen will receive 1 point. The quiz master will acknowledge the answer by saying "{NAME} correct".
  3. To discourage guessing, any incorrect answers will be deducted 2 points.
  4. The quiz master's decision is final (even if ultimately wrong! :tongue2:).
  5. Members in the chat room are asked to not carry any conversation other than answering the question, or seeking clarification during each round. There will be a break between each round where members may seek clarification on any answer that was given during the previous round. However, points will not be reallocated.
  6. If a member gives multiple answers to a question, only the first answer will be taken into account.
  7. Members should use white font only, with no decorations (such as bold, italics or underlining).

Format
The will be three rounds:
  1. Science, Nature & Technology
  2. The Arts, Entertainment & Popular Culture
  3. General Knowledge

Prizes & Awards
  1. The member with the lowest score gets slapped with a fish.
  2. The winner gets to not get slapped with a fish.

Hootenanny said:
The member with the lowest score gets slapped with a fish.

What kind of a fish?

Borek said:
What kind of a fish?
The winner chooses the fish :wink:

Borek said:
What kind of a fish?
Here's the one You and I should request if we participate.

_41253676_fish_pa203b.jpg

I hope to win. I have a flash-frozen 400# bluefin tuna at the ready.

Sounds great Hoot!

turbo said:
I hope to win. I have a flash-frozen 400# bluefin tuna at the ready.
I'm not paying now. :grumpy:

Oooh, sounds like it'll be fun! Thanks hoot!

dlgoff said:
I'm not paying now. :grumpy:

You don't have to pay, quiz is for free.

Borek said:
The fish-slap is for free, too! There is no entry fee, but there may be an exit penalty.

I've stocked up the chat room with Fish in anticipation of Sunday's quiz.

Evo said:
I've stocked up the chat room with Fish in anticipation of Sunday's quiz.
Can you restrict the fish-selection? I'm pretty partial to painful fish. Swordfish and sawfish look pretty fun, but if you have access to very large flash-frozen critters, and somebody strong enough to swing them (Astro comes to mind), you might wreak more havoc.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Winner receives a year of gold membership

Alright, it's time to study and win this quiz :biggrin:

Greg Bernhardt said:

Very nice prize. Good incentive to participate:devil:

Greg Bernhardt said:
Very kind indeed, Greg! I'll have to make the questions extra-eccentric now :tongue2:

Borek said:

turbo said:
The fish-slap is for free, too! There is no entry fee, but there may be an exit penalty.
:blushing:

Hootenanny said:
would anyone be interested in having a General Knowledge Quiz during chat?
I don't know.

Reminder: Quiz tonight 2100 GMT

There will be three rounds: Science, Nature & Technology; The Arts, Entertainment & Popular Culture and General Knowledge.

The winner receives 1 years free gold membership to PF. The loser gets slapped in the face with a fish, the size of which is determined by the winner!

All welcome