1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interested in learning quantum but

1. Apr 14, 2008 #1
    Interested in learning quantum but....

I have only taken calculus, single and multi variable, differential equations and a first course in linear algebra. My physics back ground includes calc based intro mechanics( without waves and ocillations) and electricity and magnetism.

Am I set to start learning quantum mechanics on my own?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

Yes! You might want to start by picking up an "introductory modern physics" book of the type that is often used for sophomore (second-year) level courses, right after the introductory mechanics / E&M courses. The QM isn't very rigorous in those books, but they do include background and historical material that is often skimmed over rapidly in "real" QM books, which will give you some motivation for the more rigorous mathematical treatment. Then you can move on to a book that has more details.

Don't expect to learn everything about QM in one go. There's much to be said for cycling through the material two or three times, with increasing depth and sophistication.
  4. Apr 14, 2008 #3
  5. Apr 14, 2008 #4

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I like Griffiths. It is a great junior level book. It explains things well, but it kinda skims over dirac notation which is very important, along with some other important topics. My suggestion is to concurrently read Griffith's and Gasiorowicz. http://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Physi...bbs_12?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208209382&sr=8-12

Gasiorowicz covers more material, but does not explain things as well as Griffith's. Together, I think they are unbeatable.

jtbell was suggesting (I think) a sophomore level book along the lines of Serway's "Modern Physics":

This is a level below Griffith's and Gasiorowicz. It does not cover Quantum mechanics in depth, but it provides an historical context and a good first introduction.
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  6. Apr 14, 2008 #5
    I suggest quantum physics by Eisberg and Resnick. It starts off with pre quantum material(planck radiation, photoelectric effect, Bohr atom etc) and explains the motivation behind the quantum theory. It is also very readable and easy on the begginner.
  7. Apr 14, 2008 #6
    Well, I would say that I have a junior level standing in terms of math.( I've finished all of lower div math). So is it ok to just go into Griffith?

If so, is it doable to go through these books the summer(i.e 2 months) before school starts?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?