Re-Learn Math for Physics Olympiad

zero00
Hi, PF

Currently I am trying to re-learning high school mathematics (because my high math school is bad) for university physics Olympiad in my country, the topic to be tested is.

1. Mechanics
2. Electromagnetism
3. Thermodynamics
4. Statistical Physics
5. Quantum Mechanics
6. Modern physics

My plan. First, I will be learning about learning how to learn, second, I will enrol Introduction to Mathematical Thinking Course and then I will re-learn high school mathematics. My questions is :
1. Do you have recommendations (books) for re-learning high school mathematics from algebra to calculus or is out there available books that cover all high school mathematics ?
2. Do you have recommendations (mathematics books) for all or each topic above?
3. Do you have suggestions or critics about my plans?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would go to the site mathispower4u.com and start off going through each video. Since you're trying to do this without a teacher then going through each video makes sense.

While self learning can work using books, getting a kind of feedback of doing a problem in a video and then seeing how its solved will really help you progress. The videos are listed and are quite complete.

Alternatively, you could consider khan academy videos as well.

At the high school level, you'll need to be familiar with:
- algebra
- geometry
- trignometry
- precalculus

At the college level:
- Calculus 1,2,3
- differential equations
- linear algebra
- statistics

A good study guide would be:
- Schaums Outlines Physics for Engineering and Science
- or the AP/IB Physics book by Tsokos (1st year college Physics)

Of course, you'll need to go over some Physics Olympiad problem sets and learn how to take the test ie best practice test strategies.

Remember to be insistent, persistent and consistent in your studies ie insist that your studies take priority, persist don't put them off, practice consistently on a daily basis.

Likes berkeman

1. How do I approach re-learning math for the Physics Olympiad?

The best way to approach re-learning math for the Physics Olympiad is to start by reviewing the fundamentals of algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. Then, move on to more advanced topics such as calculus and linear algebra. It is also important to practice solving problems and familiarize yourself with the types of questions asked in the Physics Olympiad.

2. What are the most important math concepts to focus on for the Physics Olympiad?

The most important math concepts to focus on for the Physics Olympiad include calculus, linear algebra, trigonometry, and geometry. These topics are frequently used in physics problems and understanding them will greatly improve your problem-solving abilities.

3. How much time should I dedicate to re-learning math for the Physics Olympiad?

The amount of time you should dedicate to re-learning math for the Physics Olympiad will depend on your current level of understanding and the amount of time you have before the competition. It is recommended to start early and dedicate at least a few hours each week to reviewing and practicing math concepts.

4. Are there any helpful resources for re-learning math for the Physics Olympiad?

Yes, there are many helpful resources available for re-learning math for the Physics Olympiad. These include textbooks, online courses, practice problems, and study guides specifically designed for the Physics Olympiad. It is also helpful to seek guidance from a mentor or coach who has experience with the competition.

5. How can I ensure that I am fully prepared for the math section of the Physics Olympiad?

To ensure that you are fully prepared for the math section of the Physics Olympiad, it is important to consistently practice solving problems and familiarize yourself with the types of questions that are typically asked in the competition. It is also helpful to participate in mock exams and seek feedback from experienced individuals to identify areas for improvement.