1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interested in physics or chemistry but never learnt it.

1. Jan 1, 2013 #1
    Hello,
    Since I can remember I have always dreamt of having an academic career and research. Theoretically physics seems very interesting to me and has always been my plan of what to pursue. The idea of knowing more about the world and discovering how it works is very enchanting to me.
    This being said my high school only had a very basic physics and chemistry courses (very low budget school) so I don’t know which interests me more in a more practical sense, if any. Though physics has always interested me more theoretically, chemistry has been more interesting and easier from a practical sense, though again my experience with both is very limited.
    How can I decide which one fits me more for undergraduate studies? How can I learn more about either to know if it’s my way to go?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2013 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Freshman in science programs usually take introductory physics, introductory chemistry and introductory calculus. It is generally assumed that students have some preparation in high school. The second year is slightly more advanced. By the end of the second year, if not already, one should decide the subject of most interest.

Why study physics? http://www.aps.org/programs/education/whystudy.cfm

Chemistry - http://portal.acs.org/portal/acs/corg/content [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Jan 1, 2013 #3
    I think Astronuc's advice is really good. Also, like myself, you may find that you really just like both and may decide to major in both. There is usually a lot of the same major requirements for chemistry and physics. In my case I would have to take 10 extra classes, but I think I would only have to take 5-6 extra classes if I double majored with regular chemistry. After you are through with your prerequisites, if you decide that you still love both, check out the programs for chemistry and physics at your university and see if majoring in both is feasible for you. All the best!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook