Interesting Problem I Found (a set obtained by asymmetric scaling)

In summary: That's a little roundabout way of saying that this is a coordinate transform. If you look at the example of z = g(1,9), you can see that g(1,9) is the same as f(h(1), h(9)), where h is a 2d map. Plug any two numbers into h and you will get back to the original coordinates back.
MidgetDwarf
Homework Statement
Let $$ A = { (x,y) : x^2 -y^3 +4y \leq 1}$$ . Now let B be the set obtained asymmetrically scaling A by a factor of 3 in the x-direction, and by a factor of 4 in the y-direction, then translating the scale set by the vector <-2,5>. Use a graphing tool to show A and B.
Relevant Equations
$$ h(x,y) = x^2 -y^3 +4y \leq 1$$

What does asymmetrically scaling mean?

I am unsure of how to do this problem. I am thinking $$ h(3x,4y) = 9x^2 \ - \ 64y^3 \ + \ 16y \leq 1$$, which gives us the scaling we want in the x-direction and y-direction.

Now, for the translation of points of A by the vector <-2, 5>. I am unsure.

I am a bit embarrassed posting this. It appears that this problem is just a linear transformation problem.

This problem is for fun, and not a hw exercise.

I have attached a graph of the set A.
Here we go!

Physics news on Phys.org
MidgetDwarf said:
Homework Statement:: Let $$ A = { (x,y) : x^2 -y^3 +4y \leq 1}$$ . Now let B be the set obtained asymmetrically scaling A by a factor of 3 in the x-direction, and by a factor of 4 in the y-direction, then translating the scale set by the vector <-2,5>. Use a graphing tool to show A and B.
Relevant Equations:: $$ h(x,y) = x^2 -y^3 +4y \leq 1$$

What does asymmetrically scaling mean?

Just as a guess, I think it refers to the different scaling in the x and y directions.

MidgetDwarf said:
which gives us the scaling we want in the x-direction and y-direction.
Amplifying the coefficients reduces the x and y values satisfying the equation. That will shrink the area.
For the translation, you want the bit of the graph that was at x=0 to be at x=-2 now. What do you need to substitute for x in the equation ?

Thanks for quick response.

So I am thinking of replacing x with x+2 and y with y - 5 into the function ## h(3x, 4y) \ = \ 9x^2 \ - \ 64y^3 \ + \ 16y \leq 1 ##.

Let ##k(x,y) = h(3x, 4y) \ = \ 9x^2 \ - \ 64y^3 \ + \ 16y \leq 1 ##.

So ##k(x+2,y-5) = \ 9(x+2)^2 \ - \ 64(y-5)^3 \ + \ 16(y-5) \leq 1 ##.

I uploaded an image of graph using Desmos. The red graph is the initial set, green graph is the scaled set, and the purple graph is the translated set. Is this correct?

Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at 3.46.15 AM.png

Isn't this basic linear algebra? B is just Ax + c, with x being a matrix transform and c is a vector offset.

MidgetDwarf said:
Thanks for quick response.

So I am thinking of replacing x with x+2 and y with y - 5 into the function ## h(3x, 4y) \ = \ 9x^2 \ - \ 64y^3 \ + \ 16y \leq 1 ##.

Let ##k(x,y) = h(3x, 4y) \ = \ 9x^2 \ - \ 64y^3 \ + \ 16y \leq 1 ##.

So ##k(x+2,y-5) = \ 9(x+2)^2 \ - \ 64(y-5)^3 \ + \ 16(y-5) \leq 1 ##.

I uploaded an image of graph using Desmos. The red graph is the initial set, green graph is the scaled set, and the purple graph is the translated set. Is this correct?
You do not seem to have understood the first paragraph in my post #3. Looks to me like you have scaled it by 1/4 in the y direction.

haruspex said:
You do not seem to have understood the first paragraph in my post #3. Looks to me like you have scaled it by 1/4 in the y direction.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I reread your post #3, and it still is not clear to me.

Since I scaled the set by 1/4 in the y-direction. I am thinking that instead of plugging in 4y into ## h(x,y) = x^2 \ - \ y^3 \ + 4y \ \leq 1 ## , we plug ## \frac {y} {4} ## . Otherwise, was the scaling in the x-direction, and translation ok?

MidgetDwarf said:
was the scaling in the x-direction, and translation ok?
Obviously the same principle applies in the x direction. To broaden the set by a factor of 3 you must replace x by x/3.
You got the principle right in the translation, though: to move it left by 2 you replace x with x+2, not x-2.

If you consider the set of 3-tuples (x,y,z) as S = { x -> x, y->y, z->f(x, y) } and then apply a map such that S' = { x' -> 3x - 2, y' -> 4x + 5, z->f(x,y) == g(x', y') }, it should be obvious that you need to find a function, g(x', y') that is equal to f(x, y) for all values of z. In other words, if Z = f(1, 1), Z1' = g(1, 9) should have the same value. I'm pretty sure if you just solve x for x' and y for y' it works out.

valenumr said:
If you consider the set of 3-tuples (x,y,z) as S = { x -> x, y->y, z->f(x, y) } and then apply a map such that S' = { x' -> 3x - 2, y' -> 4x + 5, z->f(x,y) == g(x', y') }, it should be obvious that you need to find a function, g(x', y') that is equal to f(x, y) for all values of z. In other words, if Z = f(1, 1), Z1' = g(1, 9) should have the same value. I'm pretty sure if you just solve x for x' and y for y' it works out.
That's a little roundabout way of saying that this is a coordinate transform. If you look at the example of z = g(1,9), you can see that g(1,9) is the same as f(h(1), h(9)), where h is a 2d map. Plug any two numbers into h and you will get back to the original coordinates back.

What is asymmetric scaling?

Asymmetric scaling is a mathematical concept where the scaling factor or ratio used is different for the upper and lower bounds of a set. This results in a non-uniform scaling, with different values being multiplied or divided by different amounts.

How is asymmetric scaling used in Interesting Problem I Found?

In Interesting Problem I Found, asymmetric scaling is used to create a set of values that are not evenly spaced. This can help in identifying patterns or relationships between the values in the set.

What are the advantages of using asymmetric scaling in Interesting Problem I Found?

Using asymmetric scaling allows for a more nuanced and diverse set of values to be obtained, which can lead to more interesting and complex results. It also allows for a greater range of values to be included in the set.

Can asymmetric scaling be applied to any type of data?

Yes, asymmetric scaling can be applied to any type of data as long as it follows a mathematical structure. This includes numerical data, as well as categorical data that can be converted into numerical values.

Are there any limitations to using asymmetric scaling in Interesting Problem I Found?

One limitation of using asymmetric scaling is that it may be more difficult to interpret the resulting set of values compared to a set obtained through uniform scaling. Additionally, the scaling factor used may need to be carefully chosen to avoid skewing the data too much.