Interesting Situation- Math/CS; seeks advice

• Thread starter mathguy123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interesting
In summary, it is up to you whether or not you want to go back to school to get a BSEE. However, having relevant industry experience will help you in the long run.
mathguy123
Hello all,

I am a fourth year at uni, getting my degree in applied mathematics with a minor in computing. I've taken classes in physics (electromagnetism and circuits) and lots of programming... and recently landed a co op position as an electrical engineer in a large (14,000+ people) medical device company.

They are training me in their field (ICD design) and I work 6 months full time. The question is, should I try transition to full time employee from the co op position (the title would be electrical engineer), using my on the job training and experience, which is very possible, OR go back to school and try and obtain a bachelors/masters in EE before re entering the work force?

In other words, would entering the workforce through this backdoor oppurtunity limit me in the long run? Or should I buckle up and take advantage of the amazing oppurtunity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you have a decent background with your Bsc, having experience in a professional position is invaluable, especially with the current economy. I would suggest sticking with the job. You can always apply for a grad position should you get let go from the job, and the person reviewing the application will note your experience, which will set you apart from many sheltered undergrads.

Last edited:
so, in essence, having a BSc in applied math/computing and Not having a BSEE won't hurt me in the long run, as long as I have relevant industry experience?
this is my main worry

I cannot clear your worry completely but I have known several people that went from applied math to eng (mainly electrical and mechanical) and are doing very well. Applied math works well for this kind of situation, especially if you enjoy doing the work. Plus, relevant industry experience is exactly what employers want. Talk to trusted colleagues or grad students for their experience.

I would advise you to consider both options carefully before making a decision. On one hand, transitioning to a full-time employee at the medical device company may provide you with valuable on-the-job training and experience in the field of electrical engineering. This could potentially open up more opportunities for you in the future and give you a head start in your career.

On the other hand, obtaining a bachelor's or master's degree in electrical engineering may provide you with a more comprehensive understanding of the field and potentially open up more opportunities for advancement in your career. It may also give you a stronger foundation in the theoretical aspects of electrical engineering, which could be beneficial in the long run.

Ultimately, the decision should depend on your personal goals and priorities. If you are more interested in gaining practical experience and starting your career as soon as possible, then the co-op position may be the best option for you. However, if you value a more well-rounded education and potentially more opportunities for advancement, then going back to school may be the better choice.

Whichever path you choose, it's important to continue learning and developing your skills in both mathematics and computing. These are valuable skills in the field of electrical engineering and will be beneficial in your future career, regardless of which path you take. Good luck with your decision!

What is a mathematical or computer science "interesting situation"?

A mathematical or computer science "interesting situation" refers to a problem or scenario that involves mathematical or computational thinking and has an unexpected or thought-provoking solution. It could involve real-life situations, theoretical concepts, or puzzles.

How can I find interesting situations to work on in math or computer science?

You can find interesting situations by exploring different areas of math and computer science, such as geometry, algebra, data analysis, algorithms, etc. You can also read books, attend lectures or workshops, or participate in online forums and communities to discover new problems and challenges.

What skills and knowledge do I need to tackle an interesting situation in math or computer science?

To tackle an interesting situation in math or computer science, you need a strong foundation in the relevant mathematical or computational concepts and techniques. You also need critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills to approach the problem effectively and creatively.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills in math and computer science?

You can improve your problem-solving skills in math and computer science by practicing regularly, challenging yourself with new and difficult problems, and seeking guidance and feedback from experienced professionals. You can also join study groups or attend workshops that focus on problem-solving strategies and techniques.

What are some benefits of working on interesting situations in math and computer science?

Working on interesting situations in math and computer science can enhance your critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. It can also improve your understanding of mathematical and computational concepts and their real-life applications. Additionally, it can be a fun and rewarding experience, leading to personal and professional growth.