1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interesting Situation- Math/CS; seeks advice

1. Jun 12, 2010 #1
    Hello all,

I am a fourth year at uni, getting my degree in applied mathematics with a minor in computing. I've taken classes in physics (electromagnetism and circuits) and lots of programming.... and recently landed a co op position as an electrical engineer in a large (14,000+ people) medical device company.

They are training me in their field (ICD design) and I work 6 months full time. The question is, should I try transition to full time employee from the co op position (the title would be electrical engineer), using my on the job training and experience, which is very possible, OR go back to school and try and obtain a bachelors/masters in EE before re entering the work force?

In other words, would entering the workforce through this backdoor oppurtunity limit me in the long run? Or should I buckle up and take advantage of the amazing oppurtunity?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2010 #2
    Since you have a decent background with your Bsc, having experience in a professional position is invaluable, especially with the current economy. I would suggest sticking with the job. You can always apply for a grad position should you get let go from the job, and the person reviewing the application will note your experience, which will set you apart from many sheltered undergrads.
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  4. Jun 15, 2010 #3
    so, in essence, having a BSc in applied math/computing and Not having a BSEE won't hurt me in the long run, as long as I have relevant industry experience?
    this is my main worry
  5. Jun 16, 2010 #4
    I cannot clear your worry completely but I have known several people that went from applied math to eng (mainly electrical and mechanical) and are doing very well. Applied math works well for this kind of situation, especially if you enjoy doing the work. Plus, relevant industry experience is exactly what employers want. Talk to trusted colleagues or grad students for their experience.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook