Seeking Internship in Embedded Systems/Microprocessor Engineering

In summary: Obtain a co-op or intern position within the field of electrical/computer engineering, where I can apply my knowledge and expand my capability as an engineer."
kadaj6
hello,

I am looking for a internship, I am a computer engineer major and i want a internship with any of the big guys in embedded system, micro processors, ect...

Im going to post my resume here so you can give me tips and tell me if it makes me sound appeling for a position

OBJECTIVE
To obtain a co-op or intern position within the field of electrical/computer engineering, where I can apply my knowledge and expand my capability as an engineer.

EDUCATION
[Bachelor of Science, Computer Engineer]
University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez
• Major: Hardware/Embedded Systems
• Minor: Software
• Related Course Work: Circuit Analysis, C/C++/Java Programming, Logic Circuit, Electronic Circuits, Physics, Thermodynamics, and Microprocessors.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
[Teaching Assistant]
• Teach students the basic concept of circuit analysis
• Teach students pre-calculus, calculus, and physics
[Computer Languages]
• Currently Known: C, C++,Stella, and Java
• Self-Learning: Python, and MatLab

[System Dynamic]
• Worked with my Physics professor on a project analyzing the Felix Baumgartner jump, with System Dynamics (on Stella).
• I successfully concluded with my analysis that the results from the Red Bull team were not altered and was true.

[Problem Solving]
• Designed and fabricated a desk/computer case with minimal resources.

EXPERIENCE
[CAD Software]
Self-Project
• Design and Fabricated a desk/computer case for personal use.
• Provides adequate air flow, and lightweight materials

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't even make it to the first line of your resume to be honest.

Your first two sentences are full of such horrible grammar that I would just skip you over unless I had no one else. I realize English may not be your first language, but not capitalizing the "i" when referring to oneself comes across as lazy writing.

I am an Asian, so I am not in position to say anything about English part of it. And for me, I am not going to hold against you...just me. I will hold against you during interview if I cannot communicate with you, but that's in the interview.

But as a Manager of EE for over 12 years, and had read my share of resume. Your resume stir my interest...just saying. I like the part of you helping out circuit analysis and physics and calculus. It is short and sweet. I can tell you every time I have a job opening, I got stacks of resumes. I don't have the time nor patient to read through long drawn resume. I literally jump lines and look for catch words...and you caught my attention.

I don't want to say this is it or anything. I can only share with you how I look at the resume. I can only speak for myself as an ex-manager.

I want to hear more about what related projects/work you've done outside to show me your passion and interest. Even just for the fun of it. This is because you really don't have real experience, so your related activity will be of my interest to judge you.

One thing very important, you better be truthful. You stir my interest, if I call you, I will ask you according to what you said you know. I will test you on what physics and calculus you help and what circuit you help the student. I have seen too many people pumped up their resume and didn't know nothing. A woman came in with a stack of schematics to show what she worked on, I asked her only the stuffs in the schematics and she could not answer anything, she was so nervous she didn't even took her schematics with her!

Last edited:
Thank you for your productive and valueable reply yungman, do you think I should put that my physics professor gave a recommendation letter? What else should I write about, or you look for when reading a resume?

I appreciate your feedback on my resume, it really is helping me a lot

I am not really qualified to evaluate your credentials, but I imagine they will be impressive. However, as Choppy pointed out, you need to fix the grammar and style issues before sending this off. For example, be consistent with your capitalization and punctuation, and make sure you use parallel structure. Your university might have a program that will help you with proofreading your resume.

I am also not qualified to speak on your credentials, but to me your grammar and punctuation within the resume itself seems just fine. Just make sure you do the same for a cover letter/personal statement if they are required.

I have just a few suggestions: you should use a nice resume format that will allow readers to quickly spot the key skills and experience you have. Make sure everything specifically relevant to what you are seeking goes near the top of the resume, and don't over-use things like blodface, italicizing, and underlining. I don't think it's a bad thing to expand a little on your most relevant experiences...tell a little bit more about your projects. One last thing is that your objective could be more specific. Tailor it a bit to each of the internships where you are applying, show that you have some knowledge of the company, and state how you will contribute to it and how it will help you grow professionally.

Good luck!

Polluxy said:
I am also not qualified to speak on your credentials, but to me your grammar and punctuation within the resume itself seems just fine. Just make sure you do the same for a cover letter/personal statement if they are required.

Some of the problems I had in mind were

• incorrect capitalization ("...and Fabricated..."),

• inconsistent use of periods (some bullets are followed by periods, others are not; either is fine, but inconsistency is not),

• incorrect verb tenses ("Design and Fabricated..." and "Teach students..."),

• and the awkward combination of different narrative styles ("Worked with my physics prof..." followed by "I successfully concluded my analysis...").

I wouldn't really have a problem with minor grammatical technicalities (after all, misuse is an important way in which languages evolve), but I think that consistency is vital for any sort of formal document. Inconsistency is distracting and is a symptom of laziness and apathy.

The grammatical suggestions I made above are, however, not minor. Things like verb tense and capitalization are dealt with in elementary school. Of course, because English is not the OP's first language (I assume), then these errors are certainly excusable in a draft, but they really ought to be corrected before the document is submitted.

kadaj6 said:
Thank you for your productive and valueable reply yungman, do you think I should put that my physics professor gave a recommendation letter? What else should I write about, or you look for when reading a resume?

I appreciate your feedback on my resume, it really is helping me a lot

First, I want to emphasize my opinion is one person's opinion, so don't take it too too serious. I personally don't look at recommendation letter when I look at resume. I don't even read cover letters! I got 50 resumes easily, I have my own work, who has the time to look at every little detail. But I guess it does not hurt, just don't try to add into the resume directly. Just attach as a separate page. I personally don't like long drawn resume particular if you just right out of college. College just show you have to tenacity to endure the 4 years. I more look for what is your strong points from the description. I don't really care to see details of your school experiment.

Resume is to stir interest to bring you in for an interview or at least over the phone. It's not for you to tell your life story. The more you talk, the more it can go wrong. It's like when you said you help in physics, it can be just simple F=ma, or it can be ##\nabla\times\vec E=-\frac{\partial \vec B}{\partial t}##. Those are in different world of knowledge. You keep me guessing and I'll call you! You tell me you help with F=ma, I won't call you! Make sense?

You get your foot in the door, then you better be prepared! After the interview and if I am still interested in you, then I'll look at the recommendation. But I always call and talk in person. Make sure you ask your professor that he/she is willing to give you a good recommendation first. I had experience when I called the teacher, they didn't return my call, that's a big red light!

Have someone proof read your resume. I don't care about English, others might.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone, I am taking everything in and fixing my resume. I am going to take it tomorrow to the department office so they can give me more feedback. I appreciate the feedback it has been really really helpfull.

As soon as I feel that my resume is better I'll re post it here so you can tell me again. Keep in touch!

Thank you again!

1. What is an internship in embedded systems/microprocessor engineering?

An internship in embedded systems/microprocessor engineering is a hands-on learning experience that allows individuals to gain practical knowledge and skills in designing, testing, and implementing electronic systems using microprocessors. It typically involves working on real-world projects under the guidance of experienced engineers in a professional setting.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing an internship in embedded systems/microprocessor engineering?

There are several benefits of pursuing an internship in embedded systems/microprocessor engineering, such as gaining practical skills and experience, networking with professionals in the field, adding valuable experience to your resume, and potentially securing a full-time job after graduation. Additionally, it allows you to apply theoretical knowledge learned in the classroom to real-world projects and challenges, which can enhance your problem-solving abilities.

3. What qualifications do I need for an internship in embedded systems/microprocessor engineering?

Most companies look for candidates with a background in electrical engineering, computer engineering, or a related field for internships in embedded systems/microprocessor engineering. Proficiency in programming languages such as C, C++, and assembly is also highly preferred. Additionally, strong problem-solving, communication, and teamwork skills are essential for success in this field.

4. How do I find opportunities for internships in embedded systems/microprocessor engineering?

There are several ways to find internship opportunities in embedded systems/microprocessor engineering. You can start by checking with your university's career center or reaching out to professors and alumni for recommendations. Online job portals, company websites, and professional networking platforms such as LinkedIn can also be valuable resources for finding internship opportunities. Attending career fairs and networking events can also help you connect with potential employers.

5. What can I expect to learn during an internship in embedded systems/microprocessor engineering?

During an internship in embedded systems/microprocessor engineering, you can expect to learn various skills, such as designing and implementing electronic systems, programming microcontrollers, troubleshooting hardware and software issues, using development tools and software, and working with different types of sensors and actuators. You may also learn about industry-specific standards, protocols, and best practices for designing and testing embedded systems. Additionally, you can gain valuable experience in project management, teamwork, and communication while working on real-world projects.