Interesting Things to Say about US States

In summary: think it's intentional that they don't put the name of the street on the street signs because people would know where they were if they did.
Moonbear said:
I never understood that one. One of my friends lives in that county now, so I asked him why they keep those stupid blue laws. He said apparently people in the county refuse to change it because they like having a law that ensures they get the day off. It seems annoying to me to not be able to even buy groceries on a Sunday.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Blue laws in general baffle me. Apparently they got real popular during the whole McCarthy era, because we wanted to distinguish ourselves from the "Godless Communists" by showing we take the sabbath off. But all it does is make us 6/7 Capitalist, and leave the 7th day to hippies and other bastards who don't buy anything! Red Blooded American Christians buy stuff all the time!

And what if you were in dire straits? I mean, it would seem that lots of people could make lots of money suing the county legislature if they passed out or something cause they ran out of food and couldn't buy it anywhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's only that one county, so everyone there either knows to shop on Saturday or goes to the next county or into NY to shop if they need something on Sunday.

There is a huge potato chip plant, the largest in the world, located in the middle of miles and miles of corn fields. Aside from the typical small town cafe and roadhouse grill, a post office, a store or two, and I think two churches, Frankfurt Indiana has a potato chip plant and a Holiday Inn for the visiting contrators, and that's about it. For the most part, if you live there you work at the plant. The heirarchy of the plant is largely the heirarchy of the town. It is a snap shot of small town America rarely seen anymore.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
Next time go to Roosters in Ogden, UT. It's a micro-brewery and one can get great beers brewed on the premises and on tap. One brew - Polygamy Ale - "One is not enough" or "More than one is better."
- http://www.roostersbrewingco.com/ogden/main.html
Dinner Menu (as of Nov 5) - prices subject to change
HERB CRUSTED RACK OF LAMB - $19.95
Full rack of lamb, pan roasted in our Cabernet mint demi-glace and finished on the broiler. Best served medium-rare to medium.
ITALIAN SAUSAGE PENNE - $9.95
Zesty Italian sausage, tomato basil sauce and melted Mozzarella cheese with penne pasta.
FRESH ATLANTIC SALMON - $13.50
Broiled and served with dill cucumber sauce. Ask for it blackened!
KYM'S CAPELLINI - $8.50
Lighter fare...fresh and sweet roasted tomatoes, a touch of roasted garlic, olive oil, Feta cheese and chopped basil with capellini pasta.
ROOSTERS ENCHILADAS - $8.95
Filled with turkey and green chiles. Served with mole, rice, black beans and salsa. Served with soup or salad only.
SHRIMP CARBONARA LINGUINI - $15.95
Sauted rock shrimp simmered together with mushrooms, spinach, sweet peas with smoked gouda alfredo topped with proscuitto.
ANGUS RIBEYE 14 OZ - $19.95
This juicy favorite is grilled to your liking then topped with a deliciously rich Cambezola butter. Served with mashed potatoes and steamed veggies.
SPICY MANGO CHICKEN - $11.95
Sliced chicken breast sauteed with red peppers, sugar snap peas, fresh basil, and mangos in Ponzu sauce. Served with Jasmine rice and chili garlic dipping sauce.
VEAL SCALLOPPINE MARSALA - $15.95
Tender medallions of veal, simmered with stock and marsala. Served with sauteed leeks, Portobello mushrooms and mashed potatoes.
BAKED CHICKEN MILANO - $11.95
Lightly seasoned tender chicken breast baked with a tangy lemon-caper-shallot butter. Served with sauteed asparagus and mashed potatoes.
PENNE WITH GRILLED CHICKEN and CREAMY PESTO - $12.95
Tender slices of grilled chicken, chopped sundried tomatoes and snow peas simmered together with penne in a creamy pesto sauce.
CENTER CUT TENDERLOIN - $21.95
Succulent and delicious. Cooked to your taste, served with wild mushroom gravy, with grilled zucchini, and mashed potatoes.
PACIFIC COAST BISQUE - $15.95
Yukon Gold mashed potatoes surrounded by a bisque of shrimp, sea scallops, mussels, salmon, sauteed leeks, celery and Portobello mushrooms.
---------------------------------------------------------------
OTHER STUFF
FAMOUS FISH TACOS - $8.95
Three seasoned flaky white fish with cheddar and salota in fried soft corn tortillas. Served with Spanish rice, black beans and salsa verde.
Served with soup or salad only. Carne Asada Tacos $9.95
ROOSTERS BEER BATTERED FISH and CHIPS - $9.95
Flaky white fish dipped in homemade beer batter and deepfried until golden brown.
BREWHOUSE BURGER - $5.95
What's beer without a big juicy burger? 1/3 pound, served with Cheddar cheese and all the fixings. Add bacon? ($1 extra) Make it a double (add $2) Bleu Bacon Burger $6.95
SONORAN CHICKEN WRAP - $6.95
Spanish rice, seasoned black beans, spinach, sliced chicken breast, roasted red peppers, olives, guacamole and cheese folded together in a soft spinach tortilla.Includes choice of homemade soup, green salad or crispy fries
BLACKENED SALMON FOCACCIA SANDWICH - $7.95
Served with Pepper Jack cheese, remoulade and baby greens on homemade focaccia bread.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
SUGGESTED HORS D'OEUVRES FOR PARTIES
Wild Mushroom and Goat Cheese Bruschetta
Hot Shrimp Kisses (BBQ Bacon Wrapped Shrimp with Jalapeno)
Chilled Shrimp served with Cocktail Sauce and Lemons
Asiago Stuffed Red Potatoes
Spicy Shrimp topped Quesadillas with Black Beans and Green Chilies
Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus with Olive Tapenade
Cheese and Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
Ahi Sashimi in Wonton Cups with Wasabi Aioli
Smoked Trout Apple Snacks with Horseradish Crme Fraiche
Camezola Pear and Pecan Crostini topped with Prosciutto
Chicken Satay with Thai Peanut Sauce

I will definately check it out! Thanks, I go to Utah 1 or 2 times a year for work reasons :-D

Last edited by a moderator:
Ivan Seeking said:
There is a huge potato chip plant, the largest in the world, located in the middle of miles and miles of corn fields. Aside from the typical small town cafe and roadhouse grill, a post office, a store or two, and I think two churches, Frankfurt Indiana has a potato chip plant and a Holiday Inn for the visiting contrators, and that's about it. For the most part, if you live there you work at the plant. The heirarchy of the plant is largely the heirarchy of the town. It is a snap shot of small town America rarely seen anymore.
You'd think they would be making corn chips...

TheStatutoryApe said:
You'd think they would be making corn chips...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yes, that would seem appropriate. Really they make all sort of things including, as you guessed, lots of corn chips. I think the actual claim is that of the largest salty snack food plant in the world.

Btw, something else that I found to be funny. Pigs around there are raised largely on bypassed chip runs. If a run is aborted, which happens frequently, the truckload or two of chips are shoveled into barrels and given to the pig farmers.

Last edited:
Back