Interference of light in thin films

In summary: I think you are not getting the point I am making.if the difference is ##\pi##, your equation should be ##\Delta \phi=2\pi m=\frac{2\pi}{\lambda_{min}}*2nd\pm\pi##. I.e., you do not at this stage know which way the difference is.So your answer becomes ##\pm 100nm##, and you have to choose the sign that makes sense.
jerry222
Homework Statement
Suppose we have a thin oil film (n=1.5) in air. The light strikes the film vertically. We use a spectrometer to see that an intensity maximum at wavelength of 600nm and a minimum at 300nm. And there is no minima inbetween. How thick is the film?
Relevant Equations
\delta=(2pi/lamda)
Phase difference is $\phi=\frac{2pi}{\lambda}* \Delta+\pi$

Phase difference, max: $\Delta \phi=2pim=\frac{2pi}{\lamda_{max}}*2nd$

Phase difference, max: $\Delta \phi=2pim=\frac{2pi}{\lamda_{min}}*2nd+pi$

Flim thickness: $d=100nm$

Set the equations equal to each other i got a d=-100nm which is strange. Can someone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
jerry222 said:
Homework Statement:: Suppose we have a thin oil film (n=1.5) in air. The light strikes the film vertically. We use a spectrometer to see that an intensity maximum at wavelength of 600nm and a minimum at 300nm. And there is no minima inbetween. How thick is the film?
Relevant Equations:: ##\delta=(2\pi/\lambda)##

Phase difference is ##\phi=\frac{2pi}{\lambda}* \Delta+\pi##
Phase difference, max: ##\Delta \phi=2pim=\frac{2pi}{\lamda_{max}}*2nd##
Phase difference, max: ##\Delta \phi=2pim=\frac{2pi}{\lamda_{min}}*2nd+pi##
Flim thickness: ##d=100nm##

Set the equations equal to each other i got a d=-100nm which is strange. Can someone help?
I tried fixing up your LaTeX but it still isn’t making much sense:
Phase difference is ##\phi=\frac{2\pi}{\lambda}* \Delta+\pi##
Phase difference, max: ##\Delta \phi=2\pi m=\frac{2\pi}{\lambda_{max}}*2nd##
Phase difference, max: ##\Delta \phi=2\pi m=\frac{2\pi}{\lambda_{min}}*2nd+\pi##

Don't you mean Phase difference is ##\pi##?
Anyway, a difference is unsigned, so in the equation it's ##\pm\pi##.

haruspex said:
I tried fixing up your LaTeX but it still isn’t making much sense:
Phase difference is ##\phi=\frac{2\pi}{\lambda}* \Delta+\pi##
Phase difference, max: ##\Delta \phi=2\pi m=\frac{2\pi}{\lambda_{max}}*2nd##
Phase difference, max: ##\Delta \phi=2\pi m=\frac{2\pi}{\lambda_{min}}*2nd+\pi##

Don't you mean Phase difference is ##\pi##?
Anyway, a difference is unsigned, so in the equation it's ##\pm\pi##.
yeah where pi is the phase change due to refraction and reflection

jerry222 said:
yeah where pi is the phase change due to refraction and reflection
So which sign should you select?

haruspex said:
So which sign should you select?
ah i got -100nm, the correct answer is 100...i just set those two eaquations equal to each other, that s what i wanted to ask...

jerry222 said:
ah i got -100nm, the correct answer is 100...i just set those two eaquations equal to each other, that s what i wanted to ask...
I think you are not getting the point I am making.
if the difference is ##\pi##, your equation should be ##\Delta \phi=2\pi m=\frac{2\pi}{\lambda_{min}}*2nd\pm\pi##. I.e., you do not at this stage know which way the difference is.
So your answer becomes ##\pm 100nm##, and you have to choose the sign that makes sense.

Likes Delta2 and jerry222
ahhhhhhhhh Thank You !

Likes Delta2

1. What is interference of light in thin films?

Interference of light in thin films is a phenomenon that occurs when light waves reflect off of multiple surfaces within a thin film, causing constructive and destructive interference. This results in the appearance of different colors or patterns depending on the thickness of the film and the wavelength of the light.

2. How does interference of light in thin films occur?

Interference of light in thin films occurs when light waves reflect off of both the top and bottom surfaces of a thin film. When these waves interact, they either reinforce or cancel each other out, resulting in different colors or patterns.

3. What is the difference between thin film interference and regular interference?

The main difference between thin film interference and regular interference is the number of surfaces that the light waves reflect off of. In thin film interference, the waves reflect off of multiple surfaces within the film, while in regular interference, the waves only reflect off of two surfaces.

4. What are some real-world applications of interference of light in thin films?

Interference of light in thin films has many practical applications, such as in anti-reflective coatings for glasses and camera lenses, in the production of colorful soap bubbles and oil slicks, and in the creation of thin film interference filters used in spectrophotometers and other optical instruments.

5. How does the thickness of a thin film affect interference of light?

The thickness of a thin film directly affects the interference of light. Thicker films will produce more distinct and vibrant interference patterns, while thinner films may produce more subtle or transparent effects. The thickness also determines which wavelengths of light are reinforced or canceled, resulting in different colors or patterns.