Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interferometry of distant sources

1. Feb 26, 2016 #1

naima

Gold Member

When you try to get fringes, the worse is when the source is extended and the light has a large energy spectrum.
    With a star, the source seems pointlike. Is there another advantage as regards with bandwidth?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2016 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

What do you mean?

4. Feb 28, 2016 #3

naima

Gold Member

Suppose that an optical polychromatical signal is emitted at a given pointlike place during T. It has a coherence length there. When the signal propagates its shape changes and its Fourier transform too. If we measure the coherence length at a far distance of the souce, Is it the same?

5. Feb 28, 2016 #4

naima

Gold Member

I read that the coherence length of the light coming from a star is ##c/ \Delta \omega##
    What is the definition of this Delta? How is it measured?

6. Feb 28, 2016 #5

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I'm sorry, I don't know much about this topic, but I'll try to help as best I can.

If we're talking about broad-spectrum light, then I'm not sure there is a coherence length since the phase varies randomly.

I think delta is given by the bandwidth of the emitted light. I'm not sure how this applies to the light emitted from a star, though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook