Interiors of sets in topological vector spaces

In summary, Rudin claims that if the absolute value of a complex number alpha is between 0 and 1, then the interior of the subset A in a topological vector space X, denoted by A^\circ, is equal to the interior of the scalar multiplication of A by alpha, denoted by (\alpha A)^\circ. This is because the mapping f_alpha, which represents scalar multiplication by alpha, is a homeomorphism, meaning it is an invertible continuous function with a continuous inverse. This concept is similar to the more well-known isomorphism in other mathematical fields.
AxiomOfChoice
In Rudin's book Functional Analysis, he makes the following claim about the interior [itex]A^\circ[/itex] of a subset [itex]A[/itex] of a topological vector space [itex]X[/itex]: If [itex]0 < |\alpha| \leq 1[/itex] for [itex]\alpha \in \mathbb C[/itex], it follows that

[tex]
\alpha A^\circ = (\alpha A)^\circ,
[/tex]

since scalar multiplicaiton (the mapping [itex]f_\alpha: X \to X[/itex] given by [itex]f_\alpha(x) = \alpha x[/itex]) is a homeomorphism; that is, a 1-to-1 continuous mapping.

This is the first time I've ever confronted the term "homeomorphism," and I have no idea how I can deduce the above observation about interiors given this hypothesis. Can someone help? (This is not a HW problem; it's a point in our notes that is confusing me.)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You haven't seen the definition of homeomorphism? Its the topological version of 'isomorphism': an invertible continuous function with continuous inverse; this must be in Rudin also. Note: you say "a 1-to-1 continuous mapping", this is wrong. I hope by 1-1 you mean 'bijective' (I find this a confusing term, I have seen people use it for 'injective'), but the inverse is also required to be continuous!

1. What is the definition of the interior of a set in a topological vector space?

The interior of a set in a topological vector space is the largest open subset contained within that set. It is denoted by int(A) and is the set of all points in A that do not lie on the boundary of A.

2. How is the interior of a set related to its closure?

The interior and closure of a set are complementary concepts. The interior of a set A is equal to the complement of the closure of the complement of A, i.e. int(A) = (A^c)^c. This means that the interior of a set is the set of points that are not in the closure of the set's complement.

3. Can the interior of a set be empty?

Yes, it is possible for the interior of a set to be empty. This occurs when there are no points in the set that do not lie on the boundary. In other words, the set is already closed and has no open subset contained within it.

4. What are the properties of the interior of a set?

The interior of a set has several important properties. It is always an open set, it is the largest open subset contained within the set, and it is also equal to the union of all open subsets contained within the set. Additionally, the interior of a set is always a subset of the set itself.

5. How is the interior of a set used in topological vector spaces?

The interior of a set is an important concept in topological vector spaces as it allows for the characterization of open and closed sets. It also helps in defining the notion of convergence of sequences in a topological vector space. The interior of a set is also used in proving many theorems and results in functional analysis and topology.