1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

International Certifications in Physics

  1. Oct 1, 2013 #1

    I wanted to know if there are good/recognized international certifications in Physics that can be a bridge for doing MS Physics after that.

    I am not from the engineering or Mathematics/Physics background, but extremely interested in Physics/Mathematics.

    I want to do MS Physics if possible after this certification(s).

    Please advise.

    Thanks....Cheers....Karthik Sridharan.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2013 #2


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    Are you asking if there is a way to circumvent getting a bachelor's degree?
  4. Oct 2, 2013 #3
    Thanks lisab for your question. I do not mean to disrespect the whole lot that has gone through the grueling phase of 4 yrs BS physics. I cannot do the same since I'm 33 now and cannot go for full-time BS Physics.

    If there is no certifications type routes, I am thinking of preparing the topics required for Physics GRE and show that I am confident enough to take MS Physics.

    Please advise.

  5. Oct 2, 2013 #4
    You need a bachelor's degree just to be able to grasp the stuff you'll learn in a master of physics. Regardless of the field.
    If you could do it without (i.e. be a genius), you should make an arrangement that you make the exams without studying full time, just the exams. I doubt you will make it.

    You need a firm grasp of both calculus and abstract maths to start on a master's course. Especially in theoretical physics.

    I urge you to do some more research. To study all stuff learned in a bachelor's degree you will need a lot of time.
  6. Oct 2, 2013 #5


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

    Yeah, there aren't really any substitutes I'm afraid.

    The PGRE is not a substitute for a bachelor's degree. It's meant to serve as an additional evaluation tool to account for differences in undergraduate programs in terms of grading and relative ranking of students within their classes.

    Your best bet is to start taking courses in night school or something like that. If you're committed to learing this stuff anyway, you might as well get credit for it.
  7. Oct 2, 2013 #6
    I'd agree with Choppy... night school courses.

    I managed to get an MS in physics without having a BS in physics... but I did have a BS in engineering, and I ended up taking most of the upper division undergraduate physics courses before applying for an MS through a program the local state school has called "Open University".

    You don't need a BS in physics, per se... but you *do* need the physics course work that a BS entails.
  8. Oct 3, 2013 #7
    Why not do bachelors if you want to do masters? i dont get the logic.
  9. Oct 3, 2013 #8
    Plans change and you develop other interests.

    The OP said he is 33. I was in my 40's when I got my MS after many years in the computer industry.

    I agree, it makes no sense to get a bachelor's degree in one subject and then immediately switch to an MS in another field. But that's not what is being discussed here.
  10. Oct 3, 2013 #9


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

    There is no such thing.

    If you are thinking of going to graduate school in the US, you may want to start by reading this:


Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook