International Certifications in Physics

In summary, you need a bachelor's degree just to be able to grasp the stuff you'll learn in a master of physics. Regardless of the field.
ksridh
Hi,

I wanted to know if there are good/recognized international certifications in Physics that can be a bridge for doing MS Physics after that.

I am not from the engineering or Mathematics/Physics background, but extremely interested in Physics/Mathematics.

I want to do MS Physics if possible after this certification(s).

Please advise.

Thanks...Cheers...Karthik Sridharan.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you asking if there is a way to circumvent getting a bachelor's degree?

Thanks lisab for your question. I do not mean to disrespect the whole lot that has gone through the grueling phase of 4 yrs BS physics. I cannot do the same since I'm 33 now and cannot go for full-time BS Physics.

If there is no certifications type routes, I am thinking of preparing the topics required for Physics GRE and show that I am confident enough to take MS Physics.

Please advise.

Thanks...

You need a bachelor's degree just to be able to grasp the stuff you'll learn in a master of physics. Regardless of the field.
If you could do it without (i.e. be a genius), you should make an arrangement that you make the exams without studying full time, just the exams. I doubt you will make it.

You need a firm grasp of both calculus and abstract maths to start on a master's course. Especially in theoretical physics.

I urge you to do some more research. To study all stuff learned in a bachelor's degree you will need a lot of time.

Yeah, there aren't really any substitutes I'm afraid.

The PGRE is not a substitute for a bachelor's degree. It's meant to serve as an additional evaluation tool to account for differences in undergraduate programs in terms of grading and relative ranking of students within their classes.

Your best bet is to start taking courses in night school or something like that. If you're committed to learing this stuff anyway, you might as well get credit for it.

I'd agree with Choppy... night school courses.

I managed to get an MS in physics without having a BS in physics... but I did have a BS in engineering, and I ended up taking most of the upper division undergraduate physics courses before applying for an MS through a program the local state school has called "Open University".

You don't need a BS in physics, per se... but you *do* need the physics course work that a BS entails.

Why not do bachelors if you want to do masters? i don't get the logic.

Plans change and you develop other interests.

The OP said he is 33. I was in my 40's when I got my MS after many years in the computer industry.

I agree, it makes no sense to get a bachelor's degree in one subject and then immediately switch to an MS in another field. But that's not what is being discussed here.

ksridh said:
Hi,

I wanted to know if there are good/recognized international certifications in Physics that can be a bridge for doing MS Physics after that.

I am not from the engineering or Mathematics/Physics background, but extremely interested in Physics/Mathematics.

I want to do MS Physics if possible after this certification(s).

Please advise.

Thanks...Cheers...Karthik Sridharan.

There is no such thing.

If you are thinking of going to graduate school in the US, you may want to start by reading this:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=64966

Zz.

What is an international certification in physics?

An international certification in physics is a credential that recognizes an individual's knowledge and skills in the field of physics on a global scale. It is typically obtained through a standardized examination or assessment process.

What are some examples of international certifications in physics?

Some examples of international certifications in physics include the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma in Physics, the Advanced Placement (AP) Physics exams, and the International Physics Olympiad (IPhO).

Why are international certifications in physics important?

International certifications in physics are important for a number of reasons. They can demonstrate an individual's proficiency in the subject, provide opportunities for advanced study or career advancement, and can be used as a benchmark for comparing knowledge and skills across different countries and educational systems.

How can someone obtain an international certification in physics?

The process for obtaining an international certification in physics may vary depending on the specific certification. In some cases, it may involve taking a standardized examination or completing a set of coursework. It is important to research the specific requirements and application process for the desired certification.

Are international certifications in physics recognized worldwide?

While each certification may have its own level of recognition and prestige, most international certifications in physics are recognized and accepted globally. However, it is important to research the specific certification and its recognition in the country or institution where it will be used or applied.