Internship in fluid mechanics (Princeton, Brown, UCSD )

In summary, the person is currently a French student in fifth year of higher education and is seeking an internship in a US lab for 3 months. They have received advice from others to look into opportunities at Brown, San Diego, Santa Barbara, and Princeton universities. They are interested in fluid mechanics applied to aero/astronautics, but have found it difficult to find opportunities in this specific field. They have also considered other fields such as geophysics and astrophysics, but have had trouble finding someone to host them. The person is open to improving their numerical programming skills and is looking for advice on which university to choose.
miragef1
Hello,

I posted on college confidential and they advised me to come here. So here's my questions !
I'm currently a French student in fifth year of higher education (physics/engineering) and I'd like to do an internship in a US lab for 3 months.

I currently have some opportunities :
- Brown : on the bat fly
- San Diego : on nano swim
- Santa Barbara : on turbidity currents
- Princeton : on radiatively driven flows or vortex (2 different labs)

Basically, all these subjects look great.
I wanted to do this internship on fluid mechanics applied to aero/astronautics but it's quite hard to find. I asked many faculty in Stanford but they lack space and can't host international students.

I don't really know which university to pick as all these subjects interest me. Princeton and Brown attracts me (especially Princeton) but I don't really know why as I can't really compare them.

What would you advise me to do ?

Thanks for your help
Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
My first thought would be to recommend you look at NASA, as they have a large internship program called SOLAR set up already. But I'm not sure if they take international students. At any rate, you should really check with the program advisors to see if they have anything for international students.

The other thing I would like to mention is that since you are interested in fluids, you shouldn't restrict yourself too much. For example, working on pure fluids research in a theoretical physics department might be nice, but don't forget to look at geophysics for hydrodynamics, hydrology, underground flows, atmospheric science, mechanical and aerospace engineering, wind dynamics, etc. Particularly for engineering, this will provide lots of opportunity. It may not be exactly what you're looking for, but it is related and it will certainly help you understand fluid dynamics better.

Another field I want you to consider is astrophysics. I didn't mention this up there because I think this is something that you should really look into (and is also something I have experience with). The astronomy and astrophysics community isn't huge, and more importantly its distributed world wide. This is good for you as an international student. You can work in stellar astro, magnetohydrodynamics, galactic dynamics, hell even computational cosmology would be good.

The reason why you should look at all these different fields is that basically it all comes down to numerically solving partial differential equations via finite difference/element/volume methods. That means you're going to write a ton of mathematical code to run on fast computers. This is another point--if you fail to find anything involved with physics or engineering, you should seek any opportunity you can to improve your numerical programming skills. That is, learning how to deal with data, learning about precision arithmetic on computers, optimization of code, learning to actually write code in a fast, lower level language (e.g. C, C++, FORTRAN, and maybe Python/MATLAB for prototyping). All of this will be almost just as important as knowing the physics itself.

You've got a lot of Googling to do. Good luck.

Thanks a lot for your answer.

I'll take it paragraph by paragraph because there's a lot to say !

My first thought would be to recommend you look at NASA, as they have a large internship program called SOLAR set up already. But I'm not sure if they take international students. At any rate, you should really check with the program advisors to see if they have anything for international students.

I've contacted many people working for NASA and unfortunately they don't really have free space. They also have internship programs but either it's US citizen only, or you have to be chosen by the CNES or ESA and their conditions can't fit with mine.

It's quite a shame because NASA does a lot of interesting research.

The other thing I would like to mention is that since you are interested in fluids, you shouldn't restrict yourself too much. For example, working on pure fluids research in a theoretical physics department might be nice, but don't forget to look at geophysics for hydrodynamics, hydrology, underground flows, atmospheric science, mechanical and aerospace engineering, wind dynamics, etc. Particularly for engineering, this will provide lots of opportunity. It may not be exactly what you're looking for, but it is related and it will certainly help you understand fluid dynamics better.

Actually I first searched in the aerospace and aeronautics fileds. Stanford has a huge department working on this. I contacted almost every faculty working in it but they have to many requests ...
My goal (in the future) would be to work in fluid dynamics applied to aeronautics or astronautics.

Another field I want you to consider is astrophysics. I didn't mention this up there because I think this is something that you should really look into (and is also something I have experience with). The astronomy and astrophysics community isn't huge, and more importantly its distributed world wide. This is good for you as an international student. You can work in stellar astro, magnetohydrodynamics, galactic dynamics, hell even computational cosmology would be good.
I also considered astrophysics. I've done an internship in this field (Observatoire de Paris). Astrophisics is my second love with aeronautics. There are many subjects represented in this field. But once again it's hard to find someone who can host me.
I currently have an opportunities in a plasma lab, which would be great, but this is to confirm.

The reason why you should look at all these different fields is that basically it all comes down to numerically solving partial differential equations via finite difference/element/volume methods. That means you're going to write a ton of mathematical code to run on fast computers. This is another point--if you fail to find anything involved with physics or engineering, you should seek any opportunity you can to improve your numerical programming skills. That is, learning how to deal with data, learning about precision arithmetic on computers, optimization of code, learning to actually write code in a fast, lower level language (e.g. C, C++, FORTRAN, and maybe Python/MATLAB for prototyping). All of this will be almost just as important as knowing the physics itself.
You're just right saying this. I have skills in C, C++/Python, Matlab and finite elements and people generally say "your numeric skills interest me". And this is what I try to improve because these skills are useful in many fields.

Thanks again for your answer, you confirmed all my "feelings" !

One last thing. You mention a lot about these very prestigious schools. I'm afraid that [my impression of] your focus is too much on these. Of course you might have more of a chance at a school that has more funding to get you there, but don't be afraid to look at lesser known schools as well. For example, NASA Ames is in Iowa, so check the local universities around and talk to engineering folks there. Similarly around the Pasadena area, in Florida. Also look at faculty and what they're doing. It's a big list, but usually where I like to start from is the US News Rankings for engineering and then just go down the list, checking the sites.

In this way you aren't limiting yourself. As an international student, you have to try and pursue every lead. If you do that, I'd say you'd be unlucky not to find anything.

You're right. But the thing is that my school wants us to go to a partner university. So the choice becomes thinner.
But I'll have a look at other schools (the us news ranking will be useful).

For the moment I'm almost sure to have two internships in Princeton and one at NASA. But it's always good to look around.

1. What is the purpose of an internship in fluid mechanics?

An internship in fluid mechanics allows students to gain practical experience in the field of fluid mechanics, which is the study of fluids and their behavior. It provides an opportunity for students to apply their knowledge and skills in a real-world setting, and can also help them make connections and build their professional network.

2. How do I apply for an internship in fluid mechanics at Princeton, Brown, or UCSD?

The application process for internships varies depending on the specific program and institution. Typically, students can apply through the university's internship office or career center, or directly through the company or organization offering the internship. It is important to carefully review the requirements and deadlines for each program and follow the instructions provided.

3. What kind of work can I expect to do during an internship in fluid mechanics?

The specific tasks and responsibilities of an internship in fluid mechanics will vary depending on the company or organization, but generally, interns can expect to work on projects related to fluid mechanics, such as data analysis, simulation, or experimental research. They may also assist with lab work, data collection, or other duties as assigned.

4. Are there any prerequisites for an internship in fluid mechanics?

Each internship program may have its own specific requirements, but in general, students should have a strong background in mathematics, physics, and engineering principles. Some programs may also require previous coursework or experience in fluid mechanics or a related field. It is important to carefully review the prerequisites for each program before applying.

5. What are the benefits of completing an internship in fluid mechanics?

Internships in fluid mechanics provide students with valuable hands-on experience in a specialized field, which can enhance their resume and make them more competitive for future job opportunities. Additionally, internships can help students develop important skills such as teamwork, problem-solving, and communication, and provide opportunities for mentorship and professional development.