Interpretation of solution in QM

In summary, the problem is that the solutions of differential equation in QM are usually messy and difficult to understand. Fourbenious method usually produces a recursion relation, but this can be messy to work with. The solution to (1) can be found using a hypergeometric function, but this requires plotting 3D wave functions.
Ene Dene
I'm having a problem understanding solutions of differential equation in QM:

[tex]\psi''(z)+\frac{p}{z}\psi(z)+k^2\psi(z)=0[/tex] (1)

I usualy use Fourbenious method, and in this case I get a 3 coefficients recursion relation which is really messy.
So I do it like this:
for really large z second term expires, and I have a simple H.O.equation:

[tex]\psi''(z)+k^2\psi(z)=0[/tex] (2)

with a solution:

[tex]\psi(z)=Aexp(ikz)[/tex] (3)

Now, the solution of (1) must be:

[tex]\psi(z)=Aexp(ikz)*f(z)[/tex] (4)

Where f(z) is some function of z. Supstituting (4) in (1) I get the equation for f(z):

[tex]f''(z)+2kif'(z)+\frac{p}{z}f(z)=0[/tex]

If I use Fourbenious method here, I get a nice recursion relation and the solution is something like this (hypergeometric function):

[tex]f(z)=Cz(1-\frac{2ki+p}{2!}z+\frac{(2ki+p)(4ki+p)}{2!3!}z^2-...(-1)^{n+1}\frac{(2ki+p)(4ki+p)...(2kin+p)}{n!(n+1)!}z^n)[/tex]

There is also a second solution, but no need for me to write it down becoase the same problem arrises.
I checked with mathematica 5.0 and the solution is OK. Is this OK? I mean, every usual problem in QM, HO, hydrogen atom, square well... have real space part and imaginary time part. But my space part has an imaginery and real part. Have I done something wrong? Or is it a coincidence that these standard problems have just real part of space part of wave function.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The real and imaginary parts of your solution are each also solutions. Your original equation is real, so if psi is a solution so is psi^*. Note that e^(-ikx) is also a solution of (2).

What if I wanted to plot psi(z)? I have never seen 3D plot for a wave function in one dimensional problem. I mean, when somewere wave function is large you can say that the particle is probably there, but if you have real and imaginery you can't plot just real part and talk about probability.

Your 2nd order differential equation has two solutions, which can be chosen, without loss of generality, to be real functions. This is no different than your eq(2), which also has two real solutions, sin(kz) and cos(kz).

Your psi is a particular complex linear combination of these two real solutions.

Ok, but how do I write my solution down as a combination of two real solutions, just like you did for (2)?

Take the real and imaginary parts of your solution, just like cos(kx) and sin(kx) are the real and imaginary parts of e^(ikx). Any linear combination of these two real functions, with real or complex coefficients, is also a solution.

I understand now, thanks.

What is the interpretation of solution in quantum mechanics?

The interpretation of solution in quantum mechanics refers to the understanding and explanation of the mathematical solutions that arise from the Schrödinger equation. These solutions represent the wave function of a quantum system, which describes the probability of finding a particle in a particular state.

What is the difference between the Copenhagen interpretation and the Many-Worlds interpretation?

The Copenhagen interpretation states that the wave function of a quantum system collapses into a definite state upon observation, while the Many-Worlds interpretation suggests that the wave function never collapses, but instead branches off into parallel universes with each possible outcome.

How does the measurement problem relate to the interpretation of solution in quantum mechanics?

The measurement problem refers to the issue of how to reconcile the probabilistic nature of the wave function with the definite measurement outcomes that are observed. This is a central question in the interpretation of solution in quantum mechanics and has led to various proposed solutions and interpretations.

What is the role of observation in the interpretation of solution in quantum mechanics?

The role of observation in quantum mechanics is a highly debated topic. The Copenhagen interpretation suggests that observation plays a crucial role in determining the outcome of a quantum system, while other interpretations, such as the Many-Worlds interpretation, suggest that observation has no special role and that all possible outcomes exist simultaneously.

How do interpretations of solution in quantum mechanics impact our understanding of reality?

The various interpretations of solution in quantum mechanics have different implications for our understanding of reality. Some suggest that reality is fundamentally probabilistic and dependent on observation, while others propose a more deterministic view. The debate continues among scientists and philosophers, and the ultimate impact on our understanding of reality is still being explored and debated.