Interpreting a banked circular motion question

In summary: The static friction is necessary not only to provide the acceleration but also overcome the adverse camber.
BOAS
Hello,

I think I know how to do this question, but i'd really like to check that I'm interpreting what the question means correctly.

Homework Statement

The drawing shows a baggage carousel at the airport. Your suitcase has not slid all the way down the slope and is going around at a constant speed on a circle (r = 11.0m) as the carousel turns. The coefficient of static friction between the suitcase and the carousel is 0.760 and the angle θ of the slope is 36°. How much time is required for your suitcase to go around once?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't provide the picture, but it is simply a cone with a slope of 36° to the horizontal with a suitcase partway down the sloped surface.

The question provides a coefficient of static friction but since the suitcase isn't moving relative to the carousel, surely there's no friction, right?

I've drawn free body diagrams and summed my forces in the x and y direction which all boil down to tanθ = v2 / rg Which is easily solvable for v and then simple enough to find time period T.

I'm just a bit worried that I haven't used the information about friction in the question, but I can't actually see a reason to...

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have done it correctly .If the normal force is sufficient to provide the required centripetal acceleration as well as balance the weight,then friction doesn't come in picture .

Awesome, I imagine the coefficient of friction is there to try and catch us out :)

Thank you.

Tanya Sharma said:
You have done it correctly .If the normal force is sufficient to provide the required centripetal acceleration as well as balance the weight,then friction doesn't come in picture .
If it's anything like the carousels I'm familiar with, it's a cone, not an inverted cone. The slope is the wrong way to provide centripetal acceleration. The static friction is necessary not only to provide the acceleration but also overcome the adverse camber.

Yes, it's a standard carousel and it does make sense about the slope being the wrong way.

fmax = μs fN

Does this act perpendicular to the normal force in the opposite direction of mgsinθ?

And then I need to resolve in the usual manner

BOAS said:
Yes, it's a standard carousel and it does make sense about the slope being the wrong way.

fmax = μs fN

Does this act perpendicular to the normal force in the opposite direction of mgsinθ?

And then I need to resolve in the usual manner

Yes.

1. How do you determine the direction of the banked force in a circular motion?

The direction of the banked force can be determined by using the right-hand rule. Point your right thumb in the direction of the velocity and your fingers in the direction of the acceleration. The direction your palm is facing will be the direction of the banked force.

2. What factors affect the amount of banked force required for a circular motion?

The amount of banked force required for a circular motion is affected by the speed of the object, the mass of the object, and the angle of the banked track. A higher speed and a larger mass will require a greater banked force, while a steeper angle will require a smaller banked force.

3. How does the banked angle affect the speed of an object in circular motion?

The banked angle affects the speed of an object in circular motion by providing a necessary centripetal force to keep the object moving in a circular path. A steeper banked angle will result in a greater centripetal force, allowing the object to maintain a higher speed.

4. Can a banked circular motion question be solved using only Newton's laws of motion?

Yes, a banked circular motion question can be solved using only Newton's laws of motion. The net force in the direction of the banked force must be equal to the centripetal force, which can be calculated using Newton's second law.

5. How does friction play a role in a banked circular motion?

Friction plays a crucial role in a banked circular motion by providing the necessary centripetal force. Without friction, an object would continue moving in a straight line, so the presence of friction is necessary to keep the object moving in a circular path on a banked track.