Baggage Carousel Movement at an Angle

In summary, the conversation is about finding the time required for a suitcase on a baggage carousel to go around once, given its radius, coefficient of static friction, and angle of the carousel. The conversation also involves discussing the application of Newton's 2nd law and finding the normal force.
eatingblaa
1.Your suitcase is on a baggage carousel, Your suitcase has not slid all the way down the slope and is going around at a constant speed on a circle (r = 9.10 m) as the carousel turns. The coefficient of static friction between the suitcase and the carousel is 0.740, and the angle θ of the carousel is 7.16 °. How much time is required for your suitcase to go around once?

2.Im not relaly sure what this question means?

3. I am just looking for help about what this question means i don't relaly understand it?
How can I know how long it takes if i don't know how fast its going?

Physics news on Phys.org
eatingblaa said:
How can I know how long it takes if i don't know how fast its going?
You're supposed to figure out how fast it's going. :wink:

(Hint: Apply Newton's 2nd law.)

hmmmm so f = ma, but in cicular motion that is f = ?

If I found the normal force I think I would be able to find the centripetal acceleration, but I am not able to.

Any other tip would be greatly appreciated

This is my latest attempt,

I put the x-axis in the direction of the slope and y-axis in the direction of the normal,

I resolved the components on the x-axis as follows,

Weight of Baggage = Static Force + Centripetal force

mgsinx = mgsinx(0.740) + ((mv^2)/r)cosx

using this I get a velocity of 3.20 m/s

and thus a time of 17.8 s

I think I am on the right track but this answer is wrong :grumpy:

eatingblaa said:
This is my latest attempt,

I put the x-axis in the direction of the slope and y-axis in the direction of the normal,

I resolved the components on the x-axis as follows,

Weight of Baggage = Static Force + Centripetal force

mgsinx = mgsinx(0.740) + ((mv^2)/r)cosx
You're on the right track, but you have the wrong value for the normal force and the sign of the centripetal force is off. Hint: Don't assume a value for the normal force, solve for it. (You'll need an equation for the y components as well.)

(The problem will be slightly easier to solve if you use horizontal and vertical components.)

Okay, firstly when you say the sign of the centripetal force is off, I assume you mean it should be negative. (Centripetal force acts towards the centre of rotation, so I thought this would be positive ) Any chance you could explain this?

Normal Force. I am not sure how to solve this.

im going to try using the horizontal and vertical x and y-axis now

eatingblaa said:
Okay, firstly when you say the sign of the centripetal force is off, I assume you mean it should be negative. (Centripetal force acts towards the centre of rotation, so I thought this would be positive ) Any chance you could explain this?
The component of the bag's weight acts down the slope, while the component of the centripetal acceleration will be up the slope. So a sign is off somewhere.
Normal Force. I am not sure how to solve this.
Just call it N. It's one of the unknowns in your two equations.
im going to try using the horizontal and vertical x and y-axis now
Good.

normal force something like Fn = -mg/cosx

diagram.jpg

okay that's my crappy diagram and might help you explain to me where I am going wrong

You shouldn't have the (-mg?) force. Part of the weight will be down the ramp... as you've indicated by the component (mg sin theta), and part of the weight (a component you are missing on your diagram) will press into the carrier and be supported by the normal force.

In your diagram, you've left out the friction force, which relates to the normal force, which you could find by clear indication of components.

Furthermore, if you're going to take a force (like the weight) in your free body diagram and replace it with components, be SURE you do this throughly, and then I suggest you mark it out in some noticeable way (texts tend to put a squiggle through it, but you could also "x" it out).

You left out the friction force. Don't add extraneous stuff, like components. (Or -mg... what's that??)

You should just have: Normal force; weight; friction force.

Don't put Fc on a free body diagram. You'll get to that when you apply Newton's 2nd law.

Edit: As physics girl phd says, be careful to distinguish components from the original vector if you want to put them on the diagram. Otherwise you might end up counting a force twice.

Last edited:

1. What factors contribute to the movement of baggage on a carousel at an angle?

The movement of baggage on a carousel at an angle is influenced by several factors. These include the speed and direction of the carousel, the weight and size of the baggage, and the angle of the conveyor belt.

2. How does the angle of the conveyor belt affect the movement of baggage?

The angle of the conveyor belt plays a critical role in the movement of baggage on a carousel. A steeper angle will cause the baggage to move faster and may also lead to increased turbulence, making it more difficult for passengers to retrieve their baggage.

3. Are there any safety concerns with baggage carousel movement at an angle?

There may be safety concerns associated with baggage carousel movement at an angle, especially if the angle is too steep. This can lead to baggage falling off the carousel or causing injuries to passengers. It is important for airports to ensure proper safety measures are in place and for passengers to exercise caution while retrieving their baggage.

4. Can the movement of baggage on a carousel at an angle be controlled?

Yes, the movement of baggage on a carousel at an angle can be controlled. The speed and direction of the carousel can be adjusted, and baggage handlers can also assist in guiding the baggage to prevent it from moving too quickly or causing any safety hazards.

5. How does baggage carousel movement at an angle impact the overall efficiency of airports?

The movement of baggage on a carousel at an angle can impact the efficiency of airports in various ways. If the angle is too steep, it can lead to delays in passengers retrieving their baggage, which can cause congestion and slow down the overall flow of passengers. It can also increase the risk of lost or damaged baggage. Therefore, it is important for airports to carefully consider the angle of their baggage carousels to ensure smooth and efficient operations.