Intersection of a tangent of a hyperbola with asymptotes

In summary, the segment of a tangent to a hyperbola which lies between the asymptotes is bisected at the point of tangency.
ElectronicTeaCup
Summary:: Question: Show that the segment of a tangent to a hyperbola which lies between the asymptotes is bisected at the point of tangency.

1593504334310.png

1593504395914.png

From what I understand of the solution, I should be getting two values of x for the intersection that should be equivalent but with different signs. However, I get

$$x=\frac{b^{2} x_{1}-a^{2} y_{1}^{2}}{a y_{1} b+b^{2} x_{1}}$$ and $$x=-\frac{b^{2} x_{1}-a^{2} y_{1}^{2}}{a b y_{1}-b^{2} x_{1}}$$
as the x-coordinates of the intersects with the two asymptotes. But these are not equivalent, am I making a mistake somewhere?

Likes Charles Link
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand your approach. Did you just revert the slope on one side?

The x-values don't need to be equal in magnitude with opposite sign, but their average should be the x-value of the tangent point.

Likes ElectronicTeaCup
I am simultaneously solving

1) The equation of the hyperbola ##y-y_{1}=\frac{b^{2} x_{1}}{a^{2} y_{1}}\left(x-x_{1}\right)## with the equation of the top asymptote ## bx + ay = 0##

2) The equation of the hyperbola ##y-y_{1}=\frac{b^{2} x_{1}}{a^{2} y_{1}}\left(x-x_{1}\right)## with the equation of the bottom asymptote ## bx - ay = 0##

Where ##(x_{1},y_{1})## are the coordinates of the tangent on the hyperbola.

So am I just missing the next step then? I.e to do the same with the y intercepts and plug them into the distance formula? I was assuming this would be too cumbersome—am I incorrect to think so?

ElectronicTeaCup said:
$$x=\frac{b^{2} x_{1}-a^{2} y_{1}^{2}}{a y_{1} b+b^{2} x_{1}}$$ and $$x=-\frac{b^{2} x_{1}-a^{2} y_{1}^{2}}{a b y_{1}-b^{2} x_{1}}$$
Those equations are not dimensionally consistent. Shoukd the x1 in the numerators be squared?
Having fixed that, as @mfb indicates, try taking the average of your two x values.

Likes ElectronicTeaCup
Oh yes, the ##x_{1}## is supposed to be squared. I tried averaging them but it became very cumbersome
1593518456167.png

I'm not sure which step is wrong but the expressions for the two solutions should be much simpler. WolframAlpha (I replaced x1 by c).

Likes ElectronicTeaCup
mfb said:
I'm not sure which step is wrong but the expressions for the two solutions should be much simpler. WolframAlpha (I replaced x1 by c).

Oh I see! Using the answers from WolframAlpha gives me the right results. Now to find that mistake! Thank you all!

There wasn't a mistake, just one more step was needed:

1593533166445.png

Is there a method to do this division, and how do you get the intuition to divide it anyway? o_O

Ah, with the numerator fixed it's better to see. If you have a difference of squares it's often a good idea to write that as product. ##a^2 y^2 - b^2 c^2 = (ay-bc)(ay+bc)## and now the first factor is clearly in the denominator (just with an additional b).

Likes Charles Link and ElectronicTeaCup
ElectronicTeaCup said:
it became very cumbersome
Only because you failed to spot that the numerators are the same, just with opposite signs.

Likes ElectronicTeaCup
I worked through this one also, after everyone else solved it. It is a fun problem.

What is the definition of a tangent of a hyperbola?

A tangent of a hyperbola is a line that touches the hyperbola at exactly one point, known as the point of tangency. It is perpendicular to the hyperbola's axis at that point and does not intersect the hyperbola at any other point.

How do you find the equation of a tangent of a hyperbola?

To find the equation of a tangent of a hyperbola, you will need the coordinates of the point of tangency and the slope of the tangent line. Using the point-slope form of a line, you can plug in these values to find the equation of the tangent line.

What is the relationship between a tangent of a hyperbola and its asymptotes?

A tangent of a hyperbola is perpendicular to both of its asymptotes. This means that the slope of the tangent line is the negative reciprocal of the slope of the asymptotes. Additionally, the point of tangency lies on both asymptotes.

Can a hyperbola have more than one tangent line?

Yes, a hyperbola can have multiple tangent lines. This is because a hyperbola is a curved shape and can have different points of tangency along its curve. Each point of tangency will have its own tangent line.

How can the intersection of a tangent of a hyperbola with its asymptotes be used in real-life applications?

The intersection of a tangent of a hyperbola with its asymptotes can be used in engineering and architecture to determine the optimal placement of supports for structures such as bridges and arches. It can also be used in physics to analyze the trajectory of objects in motion.