Interview prep for lab tech position

In summary, the speaker has an AA in General Studies with a Science Emphasis and has an upcoming interview for a Science Lab Tech position at their local community college. They are concerned about their lack of chemistry knowledge and have been trying to study and prepare for potential interview questions. They have also provided a list of duties from the job description for a better understanding of the position. Unfortunately, they did not receive the position and the interview focused heavily on OSHA and safety standards. The speaker thanks lisab for their help and hopes for a better outcome in their future applications.
efekwulsemmay
Ok so I have my AA in General Studies, Science Emphasis and I applied for and have scheduled an interview for a job entitled Science Lab Tech out at my local community college where I graduated.

I know the interview will be with a commity and I have been told that I won't be able to fake any chemistry questions posed to me. I am trying to study for it and think of interview questions that might be asked but am very rusty when it comes to chemistry and am having trouble thinking of questions they would ask.

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course we can't know exactly what will be asked of you, but I'd be ready for questions such as these:

You have 1 liter of 5 M solution of NaOH, and you need to make 2 liters of 0.5 M NaOH. How do you do that?

What equipment have you worked with?

You have a chemical that you have not worked with before. How do you find information about it, such as what safety equipment you need to wear?

Thanks :) I understand that you wouldn't know what exactly will be asked but it helps to have ideas. Probably should have posted a small exerpt of the duties summery to give a better idea too.

This is a list from the job description of duties I will be required to perform.

1. Set up and break down daily laboratory activities as requested. Ensure OSHA standards for lab safety are met and maintained. Responsible for proper function of equipment. Arrange for equipment repairs as needed.
2. Responsible for maintaining laboratory cleanliness including disinfecting procedures and accurate inventory of laboratory supplies and assist in reordering as necessary. May be required to care for laboratory animals in biology labs – clean cages/ tanks, feed animals, monitor health.
3. Communicate with lecture instructor to meet student needs. Handle sensitive information and confidential records and materials in compliance with state and federal regulations.
4. Follow a written experimental procedure offered by the lecture instructor to plan and make up necessary reagents and solutions needed for the procedure prior to the start of the laboratory session.
5. Responsible for maintaining up-to-date Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS).
6. Organize and maintain science labs. Routine duties include washing glassware; wiping lab benches; putting materials away properly; proper microscope maintenance; and assisting students when needed.
7. May supervise student workers.
8. Adhere to college, federal and state administrative procedures, guidelines, initiatives and directives to ensure compliance with all relevant regulations affecting college operations, health and safety.
9. Perform other tasks of a similar nature or level as assigned.

I appreciate any and all help I recieve.

As a follow up to let everyone know: I didn't receive the position and the interview mainly focused on OSHA and other safety standards that I was unfamiliar with and couldn't have truly prepared for unless I had known that it was going to be incorporated as a larger chunk of importance of the interview than I thought it would be. Thank you lisab for your input and time in the attempt to help me better prepare. Hopefully my next application to the science field goes better than this one did.

As a fellow scientist, I can understand your concerns about preparing for this interview. It's great that you have an AA in General Studies with a Science emphasis and have applied for a lab tech position at your local community college. My advice would be to start by reviewing the basic concepts of chemistry, such as atomic structure, chemical bonding, and the periodic table. Also, familiarize yourself with common laboratory techniques and safety protocols. Additionally, consider reaching out to former professors or colleagues who may be able to provide you with practice interview questions or advice. Don't be afraid to ask questions during the interview if you need clarification or more time to think about your response. Most importantly, be honest about your current knowledge and emphasize your willingness to learn and improve in the role. I wish you the best of luck in your interview!

1. What skills and qualifications are important for a lab tech position?

As a lab tech, it is important to have strong technical skills, attention to detail, and the ability to follow protocols and procedures accurately. A degree in a relevant scientific field, such as biology, chemistry, or biochemistry, is also typically required. Other important qualifications may include experience with laboratory equipment and techniques, computer skills, and strong communication and organizational skills.

2. How should I prepare for an interview for a lab tech position?

To prepare for an interview for a lab tech position, it is important to research the company and familiarize yourself with their work and mission. Review the job description and make a list of your relevant skills and experience. Practice common interview questions and have examples ready to demonstrate your skills. It may also be helpful to brush up on any relevant laboratory techniques or equipment.

3. What types of questions can I expect in an interview for a lab tech position?

Interview questions for a lab tech position may include behavioral questions about how you have handled specific situations in the past, technical questions to assess your knowledge and skills, and questions about your experience and qualifications. You may also be asked about your interest in the company and why you are a good fit for the position.

4. How should I dress for an interview for a lab tech position?

It is important to dress professionally for an interview for a lab tech position. This may include wearing a suit or business attire, or at the very least, business casual clothing. Avoid wearing anything too revealing or casual, and make sure your clothes are clean and well-fitted. It is also important to maintain good personal hygiene and grooming for the interview.

5. What sets a successful lab tech apart from others?

A successful lab tech is not only skilled and knowledgeable in laboratory techniques and procedures, but also has strong attention to detail, excellent organizational skills, and the ability to work independently. They are also able to follow protocols and procedures accurately and communicate effectively with team members. Additionally, a successful lab tech is always willing to learn and adapt to new techniques and technologies in the constantly evolving field of science.