Landed a job as a physics lab tech, need advice.

In summary, a recent graduate with a degree in Astrophysics has started a new job as a physics lab assistant at a university. They will be giving lectures to undergraduate students and are seeking advice on how to prepare for their first lecture on electromagnetism. They have found an article with tips on giving dynamic lectures and are open to any other advice or resources.
spaceid
Hi everyone, I graduated in May of 2014 with a BS in Astrophysics and just landed a job with a major university as a physics lab assistant. As part of the position I will give a 15-20 minute lecture to undergrad students regarding what they are doing in the lab that day. I have no experience in lecturing physics on front of students and I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on how to prepare. The first lab is in regards to electromagnetism and even though I was able to do the work as an undergrad, I am worried about how I am going to get the subject across to the students. Any advice on teaching physics for the first time would be helpful!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks, Jedishrfu.

1. What are the main responsibilities of a physics lab tech?

As a physics lab tech, your main responsibilities will include setting up and maintaining lab equipment, conducting experiments and data collection, analyzing data, and assisting with research projects. You may also be responsible for ordering and organizing supplies, and ensuring the safety and cleanliness of the lab.

2. How can I prepare for my new role as a physics lab tech?

First, familiarize yourself with the specific lab you will be working in and the equipment you will be using. Review any relevant lab protocols and safety procedures. Additionally, brush up on your knowledge of physics concepts and techniques. It may also be helpful to shadow or assist a current lab tech to gain practical experience.

3. What skills are important for a successful physics lab tech?

Some important skills for a physics lab tech include attention to detail, organization, strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, and the ability to work independently and as part of a team. Good communication skills and the ability to follow instructions and protocols are also crucial in this role.

4. How can I stand out as a physics lab tech?

One way to stand out as a physics lab tech is to take initiative and be proactive in your work. This could include suggesting improvements to procedures or offering to take on additional responsibilities. Additionally, maintaining a positive attitude and being a reliable and efficient worker can make a good impression on your colleagues and supervisors.

5. What advice do you have for someone starting a career as a physics lab tech?

My advice for someone starting a career as a physics lab tech would be to be open to learning new skills and techniques, and to always communicate openly and effectively with your colleagues and superiors. It can also be helpful to network with other professionals in the field and stay up-to-date on advancements in technology and research methods.