Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Insights Interview with a Theoretical Physicist: Carlo Rovelli - Comments

1. Mar 21, 2016 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2016 #2
    What a complete waste. Don't you have any desire to ask him about, I don't know, his own ideas? Or any kind of substantive question at all, instead of just his competitors?

I don't understand the desire to keep waging this battle against string theory, supersymmetry and every other idea other than what Rovelli works on. Surely nobody is illuminated by the entirely negative message, let alone convinced. Surely nobody is laboring under the misimpression that Rovelli's approaches have been any more successful at making unique predictions or being experimentally observed than his competitors – quite the opposite if anything.

One is left with the impression that Rovelli's thoughts on physics are defined by what he is against rather than for, though I'm sure that has much to do with the terrible job by the interviewer. One also gets the impression the interviewer hasn't heard of anything interesting happening in theoretical physics over the past decade besides arguments about string wars and multiverses. I'm sorry if that's the case.

4. Mar 24, 2016 #3

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Great interview!
    Thanks, Greg. It goes right to the heart of things I think Rovelli cares about and gives a sense of what he's like. You get a good idea of his views on some of the foremost issues facing science (in particular, physics) today.

5. Mar 25, 2016 #4
    Happy Birthday! :oldtongue:

6. Mar 25, 2016 #5

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Just now I checked to the Amazon page for Rovelli's book. it www #9 among all the books Amazon sells:
    ==quote==
    Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #9 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
    #1 in Books > Science & Math > Physics
    #1 in Books > Science & Math > Astronomy & Space Science > Cosmology
    #1 in Books > Textbooks > Science & Mathematics > Physics
    ==endquote==

I've never seen a physics book rank that high. It's phenomenal! Surely some congratulations are in order. Great going Carlo!

7. Mar 25, 2016 #6

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  8. Mar 26, 2016 #7

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member

Great interview and beautiful book!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted