Interviewing After Accepting a Job Offer

• Thread starter DefaultName
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Job
In summary, the conversation involves a person who has accepted a job offer for a summer internship in EE starting in May/June but has another interview with a company they would rather work for. They are considering mentioning their current job offer during the interview and proposing to work for the preferred company part-time during the school year. Another person in the conversation has gone through a similar situation and is also interviewing for their preferred company while trying to navigate their previous job acceptance.
DefaultName
I've accepted a job offer in early December but I have another interview with another company next week (that I'd rather work for)... also, with this company that I'm interviewing with, there's a possibility that I could continue to work for them throughout the school year through a "co-op", which is ideal for me.

What do I tell them about my offer from December? Or do I not say anything?

Physics news on Phys.org
What was the nature of your acceptance in December? When are you supposed to start work? Seems like a long time ago to have accepted a position, and not be there already.

It's for a summer internship in EE. I would start end of May/early June.

I have recently been going through a similar situation. I'm still going to interview with the company I'd rather work for, but breaking off ties with the company I've already said yes to (in such a poor fashion) just doesn't seem right to me.

I'm thinking about going to the interview for the company I'd rather work for and, if accepted, telling them that I'm busy during the summer but would like to work for them in the fall part-time while I'm in school.

1. What should I do if I receive a job offer while I am still interviewing?

If you receive a job offer while you are still interviewing for other positions, it is important to be honest and transparent with the employer. Let them know that you have received another offer but that you are still interested in their company and would like to continue with the interview process.

2. Is it okay to accept a job offer and then continue interviewing with other companies?

Technically, it is okay to accept a job offer and continue interviewing with other companies. However, it is important to consider the potential consequences of this decision. If you do continue interviewing, make sure to keep your accepted job offer confidential and be respectful of the company's time and resources.

3. Should I negotiate my salary after accepting a job offer?

It is generally not recommended to negotiate your salary after accepting a job offer. When you accept a job offer, it is understood that you have accepted the terms and conditions, including the salary. However, if there are extenuating circumstances or new information that could justify a salary negotiation, you can approach the employer and make a case for a higher salary.

4. What should I do if I change my mind after accepting a job offer?

If you change your mind after accepting a job offer, it is important to communicate this to the employer as soon as possible. Be honest and professional in your approach and explain your reasons for changing your mind. While it may be uncomfortable, it is better to address the situation rather than accepting a job you are not fully committed to.

5. Can I ask for a deadline to make a decision on a job offer?

Yes, it is acceptable to ask for a deadline to make a decision on a job offer. This can help you avoid feeling pressured or rushed into making a decision. However, make sure to ask for a reasonable amount of time and communicate with the employer if you need an extension. It is important to be respectful of their time and to make a decision within the agreed upon deadline.