Waiting for a Job Offer - Should I Accept Less Due to Age?

  • Thread starter Thread starter FlexGunship
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Age Job
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
64 replies · 10K views
Sounds like maybe they have no idea what they need and are attracted to anything shiny. Maybe they lied to you out of their own interests (maybe out of fear that you'd get enraged), but I always see lame excuses like that simple cowardice that really bothers me. How hard is it to tell somebody the truth, especially someone that you'll probably never see again?

I don't want to sound like sour grapes, and my previous post was still enthusiastic, but I'm not a fan of operating that way. I'm always honest and up front and expect to be treated the same.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
FlexGunship said:
Made him an offer, and he refused.
Sounds like they lowballed him. So they would have lowballed you too, and it would have had nothing to do with your age.

BTW, I wouldn't trust a recruiter's explanation as far as I could throw it. They are not in he business of being candid when it comes to talking about their clients.
 
Sounds like that company has a small budget and no idea of where they're going much less how to get there. IMO, you're better off not getting sucked into a company like that. With your skills, a "real" job will come along.
 
DaveC426913 said:
Sounds like they lowballed him. So they would have lowballed you too, and it would have had nothing to do with your age.

BTW, I wouldn't trust a recruiter's explanation as far as I could throw it. They are not in he business of being candid when it comes to talking about their clients.
So true, on both counts. Recruiters are paid to whisper in your ear, and the real payoff comes when you sign up with their client. If you are a viable candidate for any job that they have pending, they will never give you bad news, since you are a potential payday for them, and they need to keep you on the hook.

If you are a great candidate for a well-paying job, recruiters will hunt you down. If you are a rising star in a new position, they will hound you, trying to lure you out of that position into another one. I gave up a position (well-paying, but dead-end) at one company to jump to a more responsible position at another company at twice the salary, only to find a year later that my new employer had already been "in play" and was sold to their most capable competitor. The experience was an eye-opener. It made free-lance consulting look like a walk in the park. It wasn't, but at least I was in control of my own destiny.
 
S_Happens said:
Sounds like maybe they have no idea what they need and are attracted to anything shiny.

I think S_Happens nailed it. So often, HR depts of smaller firms are just casting in the wind.