Intro physics proportion question

In summary, the conversation discusses the proportions between the radius of a proton and the radius of a hydrogen atom, and how they would compare if the proton was enlarged to the size of a marble. The ratio of the two radii is used to show that the atom is always 50,000 times larger than the proton.
dylanhouse

Homework Statement

The radius of a proton is roughly 10^-15m, while the radius of a hydrogen atom is about 0.5x10^-10m. If we were to enlarge both proportionally until the proton was as large as a marble, about how large would the atom be?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated an answer of 300m, but this doesn't seem correct for the size of a Hydrogen atom. I simply took the radius of a marble to be approximately 0.6cm, found the proton had to increase by 6x10^12 to become the size of the marble and multiplied this increase factor by the radius of the hydrogen atom and got 300 :$

Physics news on Phys.org
The proportion looks okay. The straightforward approach is to set up the ratios as an equation.

$$\frac{r_{hydrogen}}{r_{proton}} = \frac{r_x}{r_{marble}}$$

What is rx? I'd have (0.5x10^-10)/(10^-15)=rx/x? Assume the marble radius is x..

##r_x## is the unknown radius of the "inflated" atom.

I guess my question is how would I use that ratio to show that the atom is always 50,000 times larger than proton?

dylanhouse said:
I guess my question is how would I use that ratio to show that the atom is always 50,000 times larger than proton?

The ratio is a given. You have the radius of the proton, and the radius of the hydrogen atom. The rest is just proportional scaling (or comparison) of sizes.

1. What is an "Intro physics proportion question"?

An "Intro physics proportion question" is a type of problem in introductory physics that involves using proportions to solve for unknown quantities. These questions typically involve setting up a ratio between two known quantities and using that ratio to calculate the value of an unknown quantity.

2. How do I solve an "Intro physics proportion question"?

To solve an "Intro physics proportion question", you first need to identify the known quantities and the unknown quantity. Then, set up a proportion by equating the ratios of the known quantities to the unknown quantity. Finally, cross-multiply and solve for the unknown quantity.

3. Can you give an example of an "Intro physics proportion question"?

Sure! An example of an "Intro physics proportion question" is: "If a car travels 60 miles in 2 hours, how many miles will it travel in 6 hours?" In this question, the known quantities are 60 miles and 2 hours, and the unknown quantity is the number of miles traveled in 6 hours. Setting up a proportion, we get (60 miles / 2 hours) = (x miles / 6 hours). Cross-multiplying, we get x = 180 miles.

4. What are some real-life applications of "Intro physics proportion questions"?

"Intro physics proportion questions" have many real-life applications, such as calculating the distance traveled by a vehicle based on its speed and time, determining the amount of ingredients needed for a recipe based on the number of servings, and calculating the amount of medicine needed for a patient based on their weight and the prescribed dosage.

5. Are there any tips for solving "Intro physics proportion questions" more efficiently?

Yes, a helpful tip for solving "Intro physics proportion questions" is to always make sure that the units of measurement are consistent. If the known quantities have different units, convert them to the same units before setting up the proportion. Additionally, it can be helpful to write out the proportion in a clear and organized manner to avoid confusion. Practice and familiarity with proportions can also improve efficiency in solving these types of problems.