1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intro physics proportion question

1. Sep 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The radius of a proton is roughly 10^-15m, while the radius of a hydrogen atom is about 0.5x10^-10m. If we were to enlarge both proportionally until the proton was as large as a marble, about how large would the atom be?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I calculated an answer of 300m, but this doesn't seem correct for the size of a Hydrogen atom. I simply took the radius of a marble to be approximately 0.6cm, found the proton had to increase by 6x10^12 to become the size of the marble and multiplied this increase factor by the radius of the hydrogen atom and got 300 :$
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2013 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

The proportion looks okay. The straightforward approach is to set up the ratios as an equation.

$$\frac{r_{hydrogen}}{r_{proton}} = \frac{r_x}{r_{marble}}$$

4. Sep 5, 2013 #3
    What is rx? I'd have (0.5x10^-10)/(10^-15)=rx/x? Assume the marble radius is x..

5. Sep 5, 2013 #4

gneill

##r_x## is the unknown radius of the "inflated" atom.

6. Sep 5, 2013 #5
    I guess my question is how would I use that ratio to show that the atom is always 50,000 times larger than proton?

7. Sep 5, 2013 #6

gneill

The ratio is a given. You have the radius of the proton, and the radius of the hydrogen atom. The rest is just proportional scaling (or comparison) of sizes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted