1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Introduction to Scientific Simulation class?

1. Nov 27, 2013 #1
    I'm not quite sure what this course will entail, but it sounds interesting as I've been very interested in simulations like this, albeit it is a math class (MA1600) and my question is mainly this: what exactly would a class like this entail? What are the usual languages used? I've been required to learn matlab and Mathematica for my studies (Michigan Technological University) and here is the course description; ( MA1160/1161 is calculus 1)
    "Intro to Sci Simulation
    Introduction to simulation, a powerful computational tool for many scientific problems. Case studies and projects will be drawn from various fields. Prior programming experience is not required; all necessary computational skills will be developed in the course.
    Credits: 3.0
    Lec-Rec-Lab: (0-2-2)
    Semesters Offered: Spring
    Pre-Requisite(s): MA 1160 or MA 1161"

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2013 #2
    Also, will this class possibly translate into job skills--if so, which ones do you think it will provide? I assume programming experience

4. Dec 10, 2013 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

If you want to find out what specific tools or software you'll be learning in that class, ask the instructor. That information was probably left out of the official course description because it's likely to change from one year to the next, or from one instructor to the next, and the department doesn't want to lock themselves into something by putting it in the catalog. Also, changing an official course description often requires jumping through bureaucratic hoops. Here, you have to submit new descriptions to the Provost, who passes them on to a faculty/administrative committee for review.

For many years I taught our two-semester introductory programming sequence. The course description didn't specify which language would be used, simply "a modern programming language." I started out (in the late 1980s) using Pascal, and switched to C++ around 1995. Then someone else took over the course in the early 2000s and switched to Java.

5. May 28, 2014 #4
    We used Mathematica, and it was extremely interesting. I have the .nb if anyone would care to look.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook