Introductions to Quantum-biology?

In summary, Google found two papers that discuss quantum mechanics being important to understanding biological phenomena, but provides no information about how or if these phenomena operate on a quantum scale.
moriheru
I have been learning QFT for some while now so I intend on giving it a rest and starting a different field. Does anybody know of a good mathematical Introduction to Quantum-biology?Thanks for any help

Biology news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if this is helpful. But besides using quantum physics to understand the chemistry, there are very few (~ 0) and recent examples of specific quantum processes used in biology what I know of:

"Recent studies have identified quantum coherence and entanglement between the excited states of different pigments in the light-harvesting stage of photosynthesis.[12][13] Although this stage of photosynthesis is highly efficient, it remains unclear exactly how or if these quantum effects are relevant biologically.[14]" [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_biology ]

Google dragged up two books in the subject, one mentioning it from 2013, and a proper "Introduction to Quantum Biology" due next year. [
http://www.crcpress.com/product/isbn/9781439839058 [Broken] ]

Maybe you have to wait until the subject decohere? :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Pythagorean and moriheru
Thanks, lots of help! I looked at the Quantum Dynamcs to thanks

The only thing I can think of besides what Tobjorn said is that on the engineering side QM techniques can be used in biology research protocol (like optogenetics or radiation outcrossing or MRI) but this doesn't say anythimg about biological systems operating on QM scale functionally like the photosynthesis example.

Here's a somewhat old news article from Nature that describes some examples of where quantum mechanics is important to explaining some biological phenomena. In addition to the photosynthesis example mentioned by Tobjorn, the article points to a radical pair mechanism that birds use to sense magnetic fields for navigation. It may be worth taking a look at some of the papers it cites if you're interested in studying the subject further.

It is a problem of QB to find there meaning.I found one paper,but you can check reference.

Attachments

• RRM model for photons in proteins.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 493

1. What is quantum-biology?

Quantum-biology is an emerging field at the intersection of quantum physics and biology. It aims to understand biological processes and systems using the principles of quantum mechanics.

2. How does quantum-biology differ from traditional biology?

Quantum-biology considers the role of quantum phenomena, such as superposition and entanglement, in biological processes. This differs from traditional biology, which focuses on classical mechanics and biochemical reactions.

3. What are some examples of quantum-biology in action?

One example of quantum-biology is photosynthesis, where quantum coherence has been observed in the transfer of energy between molecules. Other examples include the role of quantum tunneling in enzyme reactions and the potential use of quantum entanglement in cellular communication.

4. What are the potential applications of quantum-biology?

The potential applications of quantum-biology are vast and include improving our understanding of biological processes, developing new technologies for medical diagnosis and treatment, and creating more efficient and sustainable agricultural practices.

5. What are the current challenges in quantum-biology research?

One of the main challenges in quantum-biology research is the delicate and highly sensitive nature of quantum systems. It can be difficult to observe and manipulate these systems without disrupting their behavior. Additionally, there is still much to be understood about the role of quantum mechanics in biological processes, which requires interdisciplinary collaboration and advanced technologies.