Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Introductions to Quantum-biology?

1. Oct 3, 2014 #1
    I have been learning QFT for some while now so I intend on giving it a rest and starting a different field. Does anybody know of a good mathematical Introduction to Quantum-biology?Thanks for any help

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2014 #2
    I'm not sure if this is helpful. But besides using quantum physics to understand the chemistry, there are very few (~ 0) and recent examples of specific quantum processes used in biology what I know of:

"Recent studies have identified quantum coherence and entanglement between the excited states of different pigments in the light-harvesting stage of photosynthesis.[12][13] Although this stage of photosynthesis is highly efficient, it remains unclear exactly how or if these quantum effects are relevant biologically.[14]" [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_biology ]

Google dragged up two books in the subject, one mentioning it from 2013, and a proper "Introduction to Quantum Biology" due next year. [
    http://www.crcpress.com/product/isbn/9781439839058 [Broken] ]

Maybe you have to wait until the subject decohere? :cool:

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  4. Oct 3, 2014 #3
    Thanks, lots of help! I looked at the Quantum Dynamcs to thanks

5. Oct 3, 2014 #4

Pythagorean

Gold Member

The only thing I can think of besides what Tobjorn said is that on the engineering side QM techniques can be used in biology research protocol (like optogenetics or radiation outcrossing or MRI) but this doesn't say anythimg about biological systems operating on QM scale functionally like the photosynthesis example.

6. Oct 3, 2014 #5

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

Here's a somewhat old news article from Nature that describes some examples of where quantum mechanics is important to explaining some biological phenomena. In addition to the photosynthesis example mentioned by Tobjorn, the article points to a radical pair mechanism that birds use to sense magnetic fields for navigation. It may be worth taking a look at some of the papers it cites if you're interested in studying the subject further.

7. Feb 27, 2015 #6
    It is a problem of QB to find there meaning.I found one paper,but you can check reference.

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook