Quantum biology - photosynthesis

In summary, the person is having trouble understanding a paper about efficiency of energy transfers and is looking for someone knowledgeable in the area to help them apply the ideas to their thesis. They also mention the possible connection between quantum theory and DNA alleles, specifically in relation to cancer. They express confusion about the concept of determinism and indeterminism in this scenario.
Amin48
Likes Dale
Physics news on Phys.org
You will get better and mor helpful answers if you will tell us where you got lost. We can help you over any hard spots, but only if we know where they are.

Nugatory said:
You will get better and mor helpful answers if you will tell us where you got lost. We can help you over any hard spots, but only if we know where they are.
Firstly thank you for your answer.
secondly, I am trying to apply the ideas in this paper to my thesis.
I am actually trying to meet someone who is quite knowledgeable in this area. Because I am a chemical engineering student at UNSW Sydney.

The efficiency of the energy transfers requires quantum theory to explain it.

Hardly surprizing - at the scale of DNA alleles(0.3nm) quantum effects should be ubiquitous. A single allele mutation can cause cancer if not corrected by polymerase. Neither strong determinism nor quantum indeterminism make any sense to me in this scenario.

PS. Do some(all?) cancers arise Schroedinger's cat style? 🤔

Last edited:
Likes bhobba

What is quantum biology?

Quantum biology is a relatively new field of study that combines principles of quantum mechanics and biology to understand biological processes at the molecular level.

How does photosynthesis work at the quantum level?

Photosynthesis is a process in which plants convert light energy into chemical energy. At the quantum level, this process involves the transfer of energy between light-absorbing molecules called pigments. The energy transfer is governed by quantum mechanical principles such as superposition and entanglement.

What is the role of quantum coherence in photosynthesis?

Quantum coherence refers to the phenomenon of particles being in multiple states simultaneously. In photosynthesis, quantum coherence allows for efficient energy transfer between pigments, as the energy can travel through multiple pathways at once.

How does understanding quantum biology impact our understanding of photosynthesis?

Studying quantum biology has provided insight into the efficiency and robustness of photosynthesis. It has also led to the development of new technologies, such as artificial photosynthesis, which aims to mimic the process of natural photosynthesis for sustainable energy production.

What are the potential applications of quantum biology in photosynthesis?

The study of quantum biology in photosynthesis has the potential to improve our understanding of how plants respond to environmental changes and stressors. It may also lead to the development of more efficient and sustainable methods for energy production and storage.