1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Introductory mathematical induction problem

1. Mar 26, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am just learning the joys of mathematical induction, and this problem is giving me fits.

2. Relevant equations
    I am trying to prove that 2 + 4 + 6 + … + 2n = [2n(n+1)]/2

3. The attempt at a solution
    The base case is to prove P(1) is correct. Simple enough -- 2 = [2 x 1 (1+1)]/2. The RHS does equal 2, so we are good to go there.

Next, substitute k for n. So, now we have 2 + 4 + 6 + … + 2k = [2k(k+1)]/2

We have to replace k with (k + 1), which is what we need to prove in this proof. We can also rewrite the LHS to show 2k + 2(k+1) = [2k(k+1)]/2 -- I suspect this is the step where I have gone off the rails.

With a little bit of algebra, I should be able to multiply the equations pout and prove the LHS = RHS, but I am somehow missing something, and I am pretty sure it is in step 3. The example problems I have followed in my text show the algebra is similar problems being pretty straightforward, but I am just not getting how to rewrite the substitution for k with (k + 1) as something mathematically correct.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2015 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Right. That's what you assume is true for some k where k ≥ 1.

With the above assumption, you now have to prove that your statement is true for k + 1 .

In other words, (with the above assumption) you need to prove that 2 + 4 + 6 + … + 2k + 2(k + 1) = [2(k + 1)(k +1 +1)]/2 .

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  4. Mar 26, 2015 #3
    OK, we can assume all of the constants to be true, and remove them form the proof. So, I now have

2k + 2(k+1) = [2(k + 1)(k +1 +1)]/2

So,

2k + 2(k + 1) = (k + 1) (k + 2)
    So, if I assume the constants to be true and can drop them from the proof, I have 2k + 2(k +1) = [2(k + 1)(k +1 +1)]/2

So,

2k + 2(k +1) = [2(k + 1)(k +1 +1)]/2
    2k + 2k + 2 = (k + 1) (k + 2)
    4k + 2 = k^2 + 3k + 2

And here is the step that has been derailing me, in some way, shape, or form, since I started working on this thing -- what am I doing wrong here?

5. Mar 26, 2015 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First of all, what are you calling a "constant" ?

You can't assume that the following is true!
    2 + 4 + 6 + … + 2k + 2(k + 1) = [2(k + 1)(k +1 +1)]/2​
    You have to show (prove) that it's true assuming that the following is true. You have to show that it's a logical consequence of the following being true.
    2 + 4 + 6 + … + 2k = [2k(k+1)]/2​

One plan of attack is to start with 2 + 4 + 6 + … + 2k = [2k(k+1)]/2 and then add 2(k+1) to both sides.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted