1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Introductory Solution Stoichiometry: Acids/Bases

1. Oct 5, 2011 #1

jacksonpeeble

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How many grams of solid calcium hydroxide are needed to react with 14.2 mL of a 1.62 M nitric acid solution? Assume that the volume remains constant when the calcium hydroxide is added.

Ca(OH)2 + 2 HNO3 Ca(NO3)2 + 2 H2O

2. Relevant equations
    Molarity=moles of solute/liters of solution

3. The attempt at a solution
    I first balanced the equation (above). I know that I will need to set up the equation above with what information I have, and that I am looking for an answer in grams. However, I really don't know how to get started. Can someone give me the general outline/procedure for what to do with a problem like this (not necessarily this problem, although it probably can be verified that it is from OWL, so, as I'm sure many of you know, I can't go in and get this same problem anyhow.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2011 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Start calculating number of moles of nitric acid. Once you have moles it is an easy stoichiometry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook