Intuitive understanding of limit cos(x)/x as x->0

• Thread starter Moogie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary: However, you're missing a bit of information about what happens when x gets close to 0. Near 0, cos(x)/x is close to 1, so the limit does exist.
Moogie
Hi

I'm new to calculus and self-teaching so please be kind to me :)

The book I am reading says I should convince myself that the limit of cos(x)/x as x->0 does not exist so i thought i'd check my thinking on here.

by very small i mean close to 0

The lim as x->0+ of cos(x)/x:
As x gets very small cos(x) approaches 1
As x gets very small x becomes a small positive number
So 1/tiny positive number = + infinity

The lim as x->0- of cos(x)/x:
As -x gets very small cos(x) approaches 1
As -x gets very small, x becomes a small positive number
So 1/tiny negative number = - infinity

So the left and right handed limits aren't the same so the limit does not exist.

If anyone was willing to show me how you write this properly it would be much appreciated

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a kind of brute force method:

If [tex]\frac{-1}{2}<x<\frac{1}{n}[/tex] for n>2, then [tex]cos(x)<\frac{1}{2}[/tex] (since [tex]cos(\frac{\pi}{6}=\frac{1}{2}[/tex]. All you really are interested in here is that cos(x) is bounded away from zero).

Then if [tex]0<x<\frac{1}{n}[/tex] we have [tex] \frac{cos(x)}{x} \geq \frac{n}{2}[/tex] and if [tex]\frac{-1}{n}<x<0[/tex], we have [tex] \frac{cos(x)}{x} \leq \frac{-n}{2}[/tex]

And then follow up with some conclusions

If you look at the formal definition of the limit of a function, you'll see that for the limit to exist, (cos x)/x has to approach some real number L as x approaches 0. The fact that (cos x)/x is unbounded as you approach 0 from either side is enough to say that the limit doesn't exist. So when you write something like

[tex]\lim_{x \to c} f(x) = \infty[/tex]

you're actually saying the limit doesn't exist and you're saying why, i.e. f(x) blows up there.

In comparison, if you look at the function f(x)=|x|/x as x approaches 0, then the one-sided limits do exist, so there's still the possibility that the two-sided limit exists. But in this case, the one-sided limits

[tex]\lim_{x \to 0^+} \frac{|x|}{x} = 1[/tex]

and

[tex]\lim_{x \to 0^-} \frac{|x|}{x} = -1[/tex]

aren't equal, so you would conclude from that that the limit doesn't exist.

Last edited:
In this case you can't even say the limit is infinity, because it goes to negative infinity from the other side.

"The fact that (cos x)/x is unbounded as you approach 0 from either side is enough to say that the limit doesn't exist."

Sorry if I am too basic for everyone here but I am teaching myself maths and don't know all of the terms you use. What do you mean by cos x /x is unbounded

In plain English, it just means (cos x)/x goes to infinity as x goes to 0+. Similarly, the function is also unbounded coming from the left because it goes to -infinity.

To be a bit more technical, if you approach 0 from the right, for example, there's no number M such that (cos x)/x is always less than M. If there were such a number, you'd call M an upper bound, and (cos x)/x would be bounded (from above).

Hi

Thanks for that. Does unbounded specifically mean as you approach 0 from above (0+) because you didn't mention 0-

Was everything correct/ok in the assumptions I made in my original question? I appreciate I could have expressed them in a more formal way but I'm getting used to the language/notation. I'm more concerned about my intuition of the problem

thanks

No, the function isn't bounded from below when [itex]x \to 0^-[/itex], so it's unbounded on that side too.

Your reasoning about how (cos x)/x behaves near x=0 is fine.

1. What is the intuitive understanding of the limit cos(x)/x as x->0?

The intuitive understanding of this limit is that as x gets closer and closer to 0, the value of cos(x)/x approaches a specific value. This value is known as the limit and represents the value that the function is approaching, but may never reach, as x gets closer and closer to 0.

2. Why is the limit cos(x)/x as x->0 important?

This limit is important because it is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to define the derivative of a function. It also has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields.

3. How do you calculate the limit cos(x)/x as x->0?

To calculate this limit, we can use the laws of limits and the trigonometric identity cos(x)=1 as x->0. We can also use a graphing calculator or a graphing software to visualize the behavior of the function as x gets closer to 0.

4. What is the graphical representation of the limit cos(x)/x as x->0?

The graphical representation of this limit is a vertical asymptote at x=0. As x approaches 0 from the left and right sides, the graph of cos(x)/x gets closer and closer to the vertical line x=0, but never touches it.

5. Can this limit be evaluated without using calculus?

Yes, this limit can be evaluated without using calculus by using the concept of a unit circle and the trigonometric identity cos(x)=1 as x->0. By understanding the behavior of the cosine function on the unit circle, we can intuitively see that the limit of cos(x)/x as x->0 is equal to 1.