Invariance of a spin singlet under rotation

In summary, you tried multiplying vectors and matrices, but you didn't understand the equation and aren't sure how to rationalize the cosine.
Silicon-Based
Homework Statement
Show that a spin singlet state remains the same under a rotation about the ##y##-axis by an angle ##\alpha##
Relevant Equations
##|\text{singlet}\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(|S_{1z}+\rangle |S_{2z}-\rangle - |S_{1z}-\rangle |S_{2z}+\rangle)##

##\mathcal{D_y(\alpha)} = e^{-i\sigma_y\alpha/2} =\mathsf{1}\cos(\alpha/2) - \sigma_y\sin(\alpha/2)##

##\mathcal{D_{1y}(\alpha)} \otimes \mathcal{D_{2y}(\alpha)} = e^{-i\sigma_{1y}\alpha/2} \otimes e^{-i\sigma_{2y}\alpha/2}##
I have tried doing the obvious thing and multiplied the vectors and matrices, but I don't see a way to rearrange my result to resemble the initial state again:

##(\mathcal{D_{1y}(\alpha)} \otimes \mathcal{D_{2y}(\alpha)} )|\text{singlet}\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left[
\begin{pmatrix}
\cos(\alpha/2)\\
\sin(\alpha/2)
\end{pmatrix}
\begin{pmatrix}
-\sin(\alpha/2)\\
\cos(\alpha/2)
\end{pmatrix} - \begin{pmatrix}
-\sin(\alpha/2)\\
\cos(\alpha/2)
\end{pmatrix}
\begin{pmatrix}
\cos(\alpha/2)\\
\sin(\alpha/2)
\end{pmatrix}\right] ##

Physics news on Phys.org
Write out the result in terms of the basis vectors and multiply out the tensor products! The equation makes not too much sense to me, because on the left-hand side you have a ket, and on the right-hand side some strange notation of components.

As @vanhees71 tells,you should use tensor product defined as:
$$S \otimes T= ST^T$$
Where S and T are vectors. Once you do this,do you recognise the matrix you got and how it affects singlet state?

vanhees71 said:
Write out the result in terms of the basis vectors and multiply out the tensor products! The equation makes not too much sense to me, because on the left-hand side you have a ket, and on the right-hand side some strange notation of components.

I'm not sure I understand why I need to do this. Don't the rotation operators act only the corresponding spin states in their Hilbert space, in which case I wouldn't need to find the tensor product? This worked for me when trying to show invariance under rotation about z, unless that was purely coincidental.

I've not done tensor products before having been assigned this problem so I'm pretty sure there should be a different way to do this.

I don't see the issue with the equation, I've written the kets in terms of their components because they are no longer simply spin up or down but a superposition of both.

So I've tried factoring out the eigenkets from the superposed kets in my equation, e.g. ##\cos(\alpha/2)|+\rangle + \sin(\alpha/2)|-\rangle##, and found out that most of the terms cancel. I ended up with the expression ##\cos(\alpha)|\text{singlet}\rangle##. Now I'm only unsure how to rationalize the factor of ##\cos(\alpha)##.

Then there must be some mistake since the rotation is of course a unitary operator, i.e., the norm of your singlet state cannot change.

Likes Silicon-Based
vanhees71 said:
Then there must be some mistake since the rotation is of course a unitary operator, i.e., the norm of your singlet state cannot change.

That's right; I missed a minus sign which normalized everything.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the concept of "invariance" in physics?

"Invariance" in physics refers to a property or quantity that remains unchanged under certain transformations, such as rotations, translations, or changes in reference frames. Invariance is an important principle in understanding the fundamental laws of nature and is often used to simplify and unify theories.

2. How is the spin singlet state defined?

The spin singlet state is a quantum mechanical state of two particles in which their total spin is equal to zero. This means that the particles are in an entangled state where their individual spins are opposite, resulting in a net spin of zero for the system.

3. Why is the spin singlet state important in studying invariance under rotation?

The spin singlet state is important because it is the only quantum state that remains invariant under rotations. This means that the spin singlet state can be used to study the behavior of particles and their interactions without being affected by the orientation of the reference frame.

4. How does invariance of the spin singlet state under rotation impact the laws of physics?

The invariance of the spin singlet state under rotation plays a crucial role in the development of fundamental laws in physics, such as the conservation of angular momentum. It also allows for the formulation of theories that are independent of the orientation of the reference frame, leading to a more unified understanding of the universe.

5. Can the concept of invariance of the spin singlet state be applied to other transformations besides rotation?

Yes, the concept of invariance of the spin singlet state can be applied to other transformations, such as translations or changes in reference frames. This is because the spin singlet state is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and its invariance under various transformations is a fundamental principle in understanding the laws of nature.