Invariance of Pauli-matrices under rotation

In summary, the helicity operator is invariant under rotations if and only if the Pauli matrices are invariant under rotations.
NewGuy
I'm trying to prove that the helicity operator [itex]\pmb{\sigma}\cdot\pmb{\hat{p}}[/itex] is invariant under rotations. I found in Sakurai: Modern Quantum Mechanics page 166 that the Pauli matrices are invariant under rotations. Clearly that is sufficient for the helicity operator to be invariant under rotations. However I'm unable to prove that the Pauli matrices are invariant under rotations, and Sakurai states no proof. How would I prove this? I do know the fact that if U is the unitary matrix that represents rotation from n to n', then [itex]U(\pmb{\sigma}\cdot\pmb{n})U^\dagger=\pmb{\sigma}\cdot\pmb{n'}[/itex], however it doesn't seem to help.

Physics news on Phys.org
NewGuy said:
I'm trying to prove that the helicity operator [itex]\pmb{\sigma}\cdot\pmb{\hat{p}}[/itex] is invariant under rotations. I found in Sakurai: Modern Quantum Mechanics page 166 that the Pauli matrices are invariant under rotations. Clearly that is sufficient for the helicity operator to be invariant under rotations. However I'm unable to prove that the Pauli matrices are invariant under rotations, and Sakurai states no proof. How would I prove this? I do know the fact that if U is the unitary matrix that represents rotation from n to n', then [itex]U(\pmb{\sigma}\cdot\pmb{n})U^\dagger=\pmb{\sigma}\cdot\pmb{n'}[/itex], however it doesn't seem to help.

I seem to remember of proving something similar. I'll dig up my QM notes and try to clear thing up, unless someone answers by the time I get to my office.

If you would that I would be very grateful :)

NewGuy said:

I am sorry, but I will fail you too. What I did is to solve problem 1.3. from Sakurai where it is required to show that determinant of [itex]\pmb{\sigma}\cdot\pmb{n}[/itex] is invariant under operation you quoted. I used 3.2.34, 35, 39 and 44.

Middle result of this solution that may help you is:

[itex]U(\pmb{\sigma}\cdot\vec{a})U^\dagger=\pmb{\sigma}\cdot (\vec{a} cos \phi + 2 \hat{n} (\hat{n} \vec{a}) sin^{2}(\phi /2) - (\hat{n} \times\vec{a}) sin \phi ) [/itex]

Where U is given by 3.2.44. Hope it helps to any amount, I wish you luck with your problem.

What is the concept of "invariance" in the context of Pauli-matrices and rotation?

Invariance refers to the property of remaining unchanged or unaffected under a certain transformation. In the case of Pauli-matrices and rotation, it means that the Pauli-matrices maintain their values and properties regardless of the rotation of the coordinate system.

How are the Pauli-matrices related to rotation in three-dimensional space?

The Pauli-matrices are a set of three 2x2 matrices that represent the three orthogonal axes in three-dimensional space. These matrices are used to describe the spin of particles, which is a property that remains invariant under rotation.

Why is it important that the Pauli-matrices remain invariant under rotation?

This invariance is important because it allows us to accurately describe and predict the behavior of particles in three-dimensional space. By maintaining their values and properties under rotation, the Pauli-matrices provide a consistent framework for understanding the spin of particles.

How do the Pauli-matrices behave under different types of rotations?

The Pauli-matrices behave differently under different types of rotations. For example, they maintain their values and properties under rotations around the z-axis, but they may change sign under rotations around the x or y-axis. This behavior is described by the rotation matrices, which relate the original coordinate system to the rotated one.

What other physical phenomena exhibit invariance under rotation?

Invariance under rotation is a fundamental concept in physics and is observed in many other phenomena, such as angular momentum, electromagnetic fields, and certain types of wave functions. It is also a key principle in the development of theories such as special and general relativity.