Inverse Laplace Transform Involving a Step (Heaviside) Function

In summary, the conversation is about an inverse Laplace transform and how to solve for the function using Maple. The solution provided in the text has been confirmed by Maple, but the person is unsure about the (1/3) in the solution. They are also seeking advice on formatting and etiquette for future posts. The solution involves thinking of F(s) as e^{-2s} multiplied by G(s), where G(s) is the partial fraction expansion of (1/(s+2)(s-1)). The person is advised to find the inverse L.T. of G(s) and then consider the effect of multiplying e^{-2s} to it.
cswall
Hello,

I have a fairly straight forward question regarding an inverse laplace transform. The function follows along with the solution. The solution (provided in my text) has been confirmed by Maple; however, i cannot account for the (1/3) in the solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated; thanks in advance!

function to transform:
[tex]F(s)=\frac{e^{-2s}}{(s+2)*(s-1)}[/tex]
for Maple: exp(-2*s)/((s+2)*(s-1))

solution:
[tex]f(t)=\frac{1}{3}*Heaviside(t-2)*(-e^{-2t+4}+e^{t-2})[/tex]
for Maple: (1/3)*Heaviside(t-2)*(-exp(-2*t+4)+exp(t-2))

On a side note, this is my first post, and any suggestions regarding my formatting, etiquette, or topic selection would also be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cswall said:
[tex]F(s) = \frac{e^{-2s}}{(s+2)(s-1)}[/tex]

you need to think of it as

[tex]F(s) = e^{-2s} G(s)[/tex]

where

[tex]G(s)=\frac{1}{(s+2)(s-1)} = \frac{-1/3}{s+2}+\frac{1/3}{s-1} [/tex]

(i did the partial fraction expansion for you since it was so easy.)

now, find out what the inverse L.T. of G(s) is (gonna be unstable or unbounded, but who cares?), then, knowing that intermediate result, tell us what multiplying e-2s does to it.

Hello!

The inverse Laplace transform involving a step (Heaviside) function can be solved using the convolution theorem. In this problem, the function is F(s)=\frac{e^{-2s}}{(s+2)*(s-1)}, which can be rewritten as F(s)=\frac{1}{s+2}-\frac{1}{s-1}. Using the inverse Laplace transform, we get f(t)=e^{-2t}-e^{t}.

However, in order to incorporate the Heaviside function into the solution, we need to take into account the shifting property of the Laplace transform. This means that for every term in the Laplace transform, we need to add a step function with the corresponding shift. In this case, we have a shift of 2 for the first term and a shift of -1 for the second term.

Therefore, the solution should be f(t)=Heaviside(t-2)*e^{-2t}-Heaviside(t+1)*e^{t}. Simplifying this expression, we get f(t)=Heaviside(t-2)*(-e^{-2t+4}+e^{t-2}), which is the same as the solution provided in your text. The (1/3) coefficient is just a factor that comes from simplifying the expression.

I hope this helps clarify why the (1/3) is included in the solution. As for your formatting and etiquette, it looks great to me! Just keep asking questions and participating in discussions, and you'll do great. Happy learning!

1. What is the purpose of using a step (Heaviside) function in inverse Laplace transforms?

The step (Heaviside) function is used to represent a sudden change or discontinuity in a function. In inverse Laplace transforms, it is used to "turn on" or "turn off" a function at a specific time, making it easier to solve the problem.

2. How do you handle a step (Heaviside) function in an inverse Laplace transform?

To handle a step (Heaviside) function in an inverse Laplace transform, you need to split the function into two parts: one with the step function and one without. Then, you can use the properties of the Laplace transform to solve each part separately.

3. Can a step (Heaviside) function have different values?

No, a step (Heaviside) function only has two possible values: 0 and 1. It is defined as 0 for all negative values and 1 for all positive values.

4. How do you know when to use a step (Heaviside) function in an inverse Laplace transform?

You should use a step (Heaviside) function in an inverse Laplace transform when the function you are trying to transform has a sudden change or discontinuity at a specific time. This can be seen in the form of a jump or a sharp corner in the graph of the function.

5. Are there any limitations to using a step (Heaviside) function in inverse Laplace transforms?

One limitation of using a step (Heaviside) function in inverse Laplace transforms is that it can only be used for functions with a single discontinuity. If the function has multiple discontinuities, then you would need to use multiple step functions to represent each one. Additionally, the step function can only be used for functions defined on the positive real numbers.