Inverse Laplace transform of 1/(s^4+1)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
plexus0208
Messages
49
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find the unit impulse response for the operator D^4 + I, using the Laplace transform.

Homework Equations



The Attempt at a Solution


w^(4) + w = δ(t)

s^4W + W = 1

W = 1 / (s^4 +1)

Now, I need to find the inverse laplace transform of W. But I don't know how to simplify W. Should I use partial fractions? If so, how do I factor the denominator?

(Note: In the first line "^(4)" refers to the fourth derivative with respect to t.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
you could replace 1 with -i2 where i is the imaginary unit. But you may need to convert that to a better form in the final solution.