1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse Laplace transform for an irreducible quadratic?

1. May 3, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have to take the inverse Laplace of this function (xoms+bxo)/(ms2+bs+k) this can not be broken into partial fractions because it just gives me the same thing I started with. How is this done? This is coming from the laplace of the position function for a harmonic oscillator with initial conditions x(o) = xo and dx/dt(0) = 0 if that helps. The original function is mx''+bx'+kx = 0 where m is mass, b is coefficient of damping, k is spring constant. The end goal of this whole thing is to solve this ODE using laplace.

2. Relevant equations
    mx''+bx'+kx = 0

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have took the Laplace of the above equation and got down to the point where I now need to take the inverse Laplace of (xoms+bxo)/(ms2+bs+k)

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2017 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let the two roots of ##m s^2 + bs + k=0## be ##r_1,r_2##. If ##r_1 \neq r_2## you can always write ##1/(m s^2 + bs + k)## as the partial fraction
    $$\frac{1}{m} \left( \frac{A}{s-r_1} + \frac{B}{s - r_2} \right), $$
    and easily enough find ##A,B##. If ##r_1 = r_2 = r## the partial fraction expansion of ##f(s) = (1/m) 1/(s-r)^2## is just ##f(s)## itself.

So, when ##r_1 \neq r_2,## you need to invert
    $$\frac{A}{m} \frac{us+v}{s-r_1} + \frac{B}{m} \frac{us+v}{s-r_2},$$
    which is easy enough. When ##r_1 = r_2 = r## you need to invert
    $$\frac{1}{m} \frac{u s + v}{(s-r)^2},$$
    which is pretty standard and can be found in tables, etc.

4. May 3, 2017 #3
    You should show your work to see if anyone can make some suggestions or spot any errors.

I would start by dividing numerator and denominator by m. It makes it cleaner to solve.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted