Inverse Laplace Transformation of arctan (s/2)

In summary, the conversation is about a person trying to learn how to solve the inverse Laplace transformation of arctan(s/2). They are having difficulty figuring out where to start and ask for a general idea to point them in the right direction. Another person responds by explaining that differentiation in time-domain is the same as multiplication by s in Laplace-domain and provides a link to a table for reference. The original person thanks them for the help, but is still unsure about the concept. The conversation concludes with someone mentioning that computing the inverse Laplace transform of arctan(s/2) can be difficult and may not have a simple solution. They also question the origin of the problem.
nileszoso
The Title pretty much says it all. I'm trying to learn how to solve the Inverse Laplace Transformation of Arctan(s/2). An equation of this sort was not explicitly covered in class and I'm having difficulty figuring where to start to solve it. If anyone could give me a general idea that would point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
The derivative of arctan(t)=1/(t^2+1). Differentiation in time-domain is the same as multiplication by s in Laplace-domain. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laplace_transform for a table. You should be able to derive the correct answer from this.

Thank you! This helped, although I'm still not sure what exactly is meant by "Differentiation in time-domain is the same as multiplication by s in Laplace-domain. " But like I said this got my started on the way to solve the problem.

Hi nileszoso!

A classical method to compute the inverse Laplace transform is the use of the Bromwich integral. In the case of arctan(s/2) this leads to ardous calculus with special functions.
Moreover, the inverse Laplace Transform of arctan(s) doesn't appears in some extended tables. So, it is questionable whether there is really a solution which can be expressed with not too complicated combinations of standard functions.
Where this problem is coming from ?

Hello,

The inverse Laplace transformation of arctan(s/2) can be solved by using the properties of Laplace transforms and the inverse Laplace transform. One possible approach is to use the Laplace transform of arctan(x) which is given by 1/sqrt(s^2 + 1). Using this, we can rewrite arctan(s/2) as 1/2 * arctan(s/2) = 1/2 * arctan(s/2) * 1/2 * 2 = 1/2 * arctan(s/2) * 1/2 * 1/2 * 4 = 1/2 * arctan(s/2) * 1/2 * 1/2 * 1/2 * 8 = 1/2 * arctan(s/2) * 1/2 * 1/2 * 1/2 * 1/2 * 16 = ... = 1/2^n * arctan(s/2) * 1/2^n * 1/2^n * ... * 1/2^n * 2^n = 1/2^n * arctan(s/2) * 2^n.

Using the inverse Laplace transform property, we can now find the inverse Laplace transform of 1/2^n * arctan(s/2) * 2^n which is given by 1/2^n * arctan(t/2^n) * 2^n. Therefore, the inverse Laplace transform of arctan(s/2) is equal to 1/2^n * arctan(t/2^n) * 2^n.

I hope this helps point you in the right direction. Remember to always check your answer by taking the Laplace transform of your solution to ensure it matches the original function. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is the inverse Laplace transformation of arctan (s/2)?

The inverse Laplace transformation of arctan (s/2) is tanh(2t), where t represents time.

2. How is the inverse Laplace transformation of arctan (s/2) derived?

The inverse Laplace transformation of arctan (s/2) is derived using the properties of Laplace transforms and the inverse Laplace transformation formula. It involves manipulating the Laplace transform of tanh(2t) to get arctan(s/2).

3. What is the significance of the inverse Laplace transformation of arctan (s/2) in scientific research?

The inverse Laplace transformation of arctan (s/2) is used to solve mathematical models in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. It helps in finding the inverse Laplace transform of functions involving the arctan function, which is a common occurrence in scientific research.

4. Can the inverse Laplace transformation of arctan (s/2) be applied in real-world scenarios?

Yes, the inverse Laplace transformation of arctan (s/2) can be applied in real-world scenarios. It is often used in the analysis and design of control systems, signal processing, and circuit analysis.

5. Are there any limitations to using the inverse Laplace transformation of arctan (s/2)?

Like any mathematical tool, the inverse Laplace transformation of arctan (s/2) has its limitations. It may not be applicable to all functions involving the arctan function, and it may also produce complex solutions for some cases. It is important to carefully consider the conditions and assumptions before applying this transformation.