Inverse Laplace Transformation of arctan (s/2)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 9K views
nileszoso
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
The Title pretty much says it all. I'm trying to learn how to solve the Inverse Laplace Transformation of Arctan(s/2). An equation of this sort was not explicitly covered in class and I'm having difficulty figuring where to start to solve it. If anyone could give me a general idea that would point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you! This helped, although I'm still not sure what exactly is meant by "Differentiation in time-domain is the same as multiplication by s in Laplace-domain. " But like I said this got my started on the way to solve the problem.
 
Hi nileszoso!

A classical method to compute the inverse Laplace transform is the use of the Bromwich integral. In the case of arctan(s/2) this leads to ardous calculus with special functions.
Moreover, the inverse Laplace Transform of arctan(s) doesn't appears in some extended tables. So, it is questionable whether there is really a solution which can be expressed with not too complicated combinations of standard functions.
Where this problem is coming from ?