Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse of Matrix - Product Form

1. Apr 30, 2012 #1
    In a few books on Operations Research, I have found a reference to a method of finding the inverse of matrix using a method called as 'Product Form'. From the context, it looks like the product form method is used for finding the inverse of the basis matrix in a simplex table.
    The method may or may not work for other kind of matrices. However, I couldn't find a good description of this method. One text which mentions this is "Operations Research" by Hamdy Taha. A description of the method is supposedly given in the CD accompanying the book - but I have a hand me down book & don't have the CD. If anyone here knows more about this method or has a pointer to it, please let me know.

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2012 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

You can find the jargon "product form" used in articles if you search using the keywords:
    inverse matrix simplex basis product form

As far as I can see, it simply refers to the fact that if you do elementary row operations on a matrix, the combined effect of these can be represented as a product of elementary matrices. Hence if you do Gaussian elimination on a matrix, you can keep track of the operations you do and this gives you a representation of the inverse of the matrix as a product of elementary matrices.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook